Applying skin prep

This might sound like a silly question. Is it safe to insert the infusion set through the skin prep? 

It would be a little hard to hit a "bull's eye" of bare skin with an infusion set, but I'll try if that's what I have to do.

Hi Trish!

The only time I've been told that the wipes interfere with anything is CGM sensors.  I've never had a problem with them and pump sites.

Hope this helps!

You're always helpful, Kim. :) I just had this image of the skin prep going under his skin with the cannula. I know it might be silly. I feel like a dummy when it comes to this pump stuff. NO WORRIES. Using it, programming it and such is very easy for me, it's just the practical little things that leave me feeling clueless. ;)

[quote user="Trish"]

You're always helpful, Kim. :) I just had this image of the skin prep going under his skin with the cannula. I know it might be silly. I feel like a dummy when it comes to this pump stuff. NO WORRIES. Using it, programming it and such is very easy for me, it's just the practical little things that leave me feeling clueless. ;)

[/quote]

I think the general practice with the skin prep is to let it dry before sticking the needle in right? So there should be no worries. Plus it's sterile, or I assume so since it smells like rubbing alcohol

[quote user="Pat"]

I think the general practice with the skin prep is to let it dry before sticking the needle in right? So there should be no worries. Plus it's sterile, or I assume so since it smells like rubbing alcohol

[/quote]

Yep, that's what I was taught, as well!

When I started using it, I was told to first wipe with alcohol swabs(in a circle away from the location I wanted the set to go), let it dry, apply the skin prep the same way, let it dry then inject the site where the skin prep was.

Haha. I just did it exactly like Batts said. Unfortunately, I didn't think it through and the tube got stuck to my fingers causing the site to come out of the Inset and I had to start over with a new one. Oops.