Infusion sets

Hey everyone!

I just started the 723 Revel (which I love), but have recently staeted losing sites.  Is there anything over the counter that I can buy to help them stick better?

Thanks!

Here are some google searches you can do.

iv prep pads

iv 3000 transparent dressing

I just use a little alcohol (like a standard prep pad) to clean off my site before I stick it and it's been working pretty good.  Some infusion set lots just have bad adhesive sometimes too.  It's happened t me once or twice in 4 years anyway.

good luck

I use Skin Prep on the area and let it dry. That makes the skin a little sticky and the tape on the set will stick better and longer. When I remove the set I use Uni Solve to remove the glue still remaining on my skin. I buy these products at my drugstore.

Like Richard, I also use the IV Prep antiseptic wipe (smith & nephew makes it) and let it dry before I put my pump site on.  Ever since I started using it, it's rare that I have a site peel or fall off early.  IV3000 tape is also a great reinforcement to call in after the site is already on.

We use mm522 and use quicksets. There is iv prep that suppose to help. We used to also use iv3000 over site when we used sure t sites. Since changing to quickset havnt had to use any extra to keep site on.

I use IV prep pads and let it dry completely, then put a second coat on and insert the infusion set  while skin is still damp.  Works 99% of time.  If part of the adhesive starts coming up I use a little cloth medical tape. 

There are heavy duty adhesives you can buy from medical supply companies.  You're supposed to use them very sparingly and remove with a special solution so it won't hurt your skin.   

I used to use the IV Prep wipes as well (my pump educator turned me onto them). They REALLY used to help my sites stick... but I started getting really bad reactions. I remember about a year ago I was covered in red, irritated circles all over my love handles. I looked like I had been attacked by. Well, by something awful!

SO. No more IV Prep. What I do is I take a shower before I put on a new site. I think being really clean helps. Then I use a regular ye' olde alcohol wipe (then I wave it dry... which you aren't supposed to do) and then put my site on. I swim with my site in and have never had it budge until I remove it (3.5 days later).

Goodluck!!

Which sets are you using?

One thing I do suggest is making sure if you change the site post shower you completely dry the area. That will cause major site run away for me, if I don't.

Hi Akels! I was also having issues with my infusion sets and adhesives. When I put on a new set, I tape the edges down (I use the SureT set). So, when it comes time to change, I'm left with red, aggravated skin from the extra adhesive and weird marks from the set tape. I now use the SkinPrep and UniSolve wipes from Minimed (Smith & Nephews). They have been really helpful in preventing the irritation and I notice the site tape sticks better. I also do the same thing as John - I tend to change my site after I shower to ensure a clean spot. A little extra work goes a long way to ensure a good site!

I just started on the 723 as well!! I'm definitely happy with it :D Glad you are, too!

I find it interesting that different people are suggesting showering before a site change.  I do changes first, then shower.  I don't generally get "that" dirty on a regular basis, so I don't have a problem finding a clean spot for a new site.  Pre-shower site changes tend to work out better for me because I don't have to worry about my skin being damp, therefore, with the help of my Skin Prep pad, I have no problem with them sticking.  Showering afterwards also allows me to better clean up the old adhesive left from the previous site....  That reminds me, I've got to go change my site now!  lol

Thanks for all the help.  I tried using IV Prep but they are still peeling, so I got some IV3000 from my doctor and it helps but I found out that after I showered it began to peel. SO frustrating. And by the way I use a combination of quicksets and mios.

Thanks for all the help.  I tried using IV Prep but they are still peeling, so I got some IV3000 from my doctor and it helps but I found out that after I showered it began to peel. SO frustrating. And by the way I use a combination of quicksets and mios.

Akels: Do make sure you let the IV-Prep dry before putting in the site. Otherwise it might just slip off. I also wait a few moments after popping the set in before removing it. Sometimes I even smooth the adhesive "wings" down just to make sure they are nice and stuck.

You might also want to make sure you haven't recently put body lotion, sunblock or tanning creme on that area. I bet that would also make it hard for the site to stick.

I also avoid putting in the site where it will come in contact with my pants or underwear band as it will tend to rub more than usual. And, I avoid the point in my side where my body bends naturally. (You can find it by bending forward). Infusion sets don't love being constantly rubbed.

[quote user="akels"]

[/quote]

I sometimes have the same problem with IVprep and IV3000.  Usually it's when the site is on my leg and my pants rub against it.  In those cases I use SkinTac instead of IVprep, and still use IV3000 on top of it.  SkinTac is like crazy glue, but washes away once the site or Iv3000 is removed.  I guarantee you it won't come off with SkinTac!  Medtronic sells it or some pharmacies have it.