Amusement Park Rides - Roller Coasters ETC

We are leaving for a little family time tomorrow at Cedar Point Amusement Park in Sandusky, OH.

What rides can Hanna ride safely with her pump? Are all the roller coasters safe as long as the pump is securely attached? I read that the magnetic rides (like Power Tower, Demon Drop...not sure what else) might interfere with the pump mechanics....just wondering if others have good advice on what specificially NOT to ride. :)

Thanks in advance!!

Amy (a.k.a. Hanna's Mom)

The issue usually with Roller Coasters comes from the force involved in setting off the ride. The coasters that have the speed launch have a small chance of insulin being forced from the pump into the infusion site. You can always disconnect the pump right before starting the ride if you have a fear of that or just make sure you test to keep sugars in check. I have a friend who tends to go low when he rides roller coasters due to adreneline rush and all, so you should be testing. As for the High Powered magnets affecting the pump, I have never had that problem when I ride rides. Granted I should take it off and stuff, I tend not to do it.

However, again if you are riding the traditional rollercoasters that click-clack up the hill and such you should be fine. The other ones I would suspend the pump and put it in a locker if you can when you go on the rides, or leave it off to the side. Don't let the pump limit what is going on, just always make sure to test every hour or so if you are active.

Wow! I never knew about this! Granted I'm not on the pump anymore, but I'm always learning new things on here. (:

Brian, when I was on the pump, I was always very, very high on plane rides. I thought it may be cabin pressure or something. (I wasn't that high sitting still for the same amount of time in a car.) But, the doctors always acted like I was crazy. Have you heard anything about that?

[quote user="Sarah"]

Wow! I never knew about this! Granted I'm not on the pump anymore, but I'm always learning new things on here. (:

Brian, when I was on the pump, I was always very, very high on plane rides. I thought it may be cabin pressure or something. (I wasn't that high sitting still for the same amount of time in a car.) But, the doctors always acted like I was crazy. Have you heard anything about that?

[/quote]

hi Sarah.  usually, when people are under a lot of stress or pressure, their blood sugar goes up.  it's the same kind of thing your body naturally does in response to adrenalin, your liver dumps sugar and your body becomes more insulin resistant, allowing your blood sugar to rise to assist fighting off the attack or whatever.  I fly a lot and it's never a surprise to me that my blood sugar rises when I am scared, or stressed, or both.

HUGE magnetic fields can break the minimed pressure transducer (internal electronic part).  not the kind of magnetic fields that you will find on any roller coaster ever made anywhere, but more like when you are lying in the center of an MRI.   always take off a pump near an MRI.

If a ride causes you to feel significant additonal forces, like the round thing that spins and sucks you against the walls, it's possible (though very unlikely) that your pump could deliver insulin without warning.  I thnk it's a very small risk and I have never had any problems.  plus I like rides and the fun! 

cheers

Joe in fear stress or pressure my sugar drops rapidly. i think in fear or stress  your body uses up sugars like crazy. i get really low when i am stressed out or in tense situations. but thats just me.

Joe can always put things in more technical sense than I can. I agree with what he says and how he put it.

I can certainly confirm that my BG rises when I am in a stressful situation.  If I can foresee such a situation, I increase my basal rate by about 20% for the period of time that I expect the situation to last.  If my BG settles back down beforehand, I simply cancel the temporary basal.

Huh, I used to find riding in a plane relaxing (until I had my son -- flying w/ a toddler is less relaxing!!). Maybe I should blame the security checkpoint. (: I always feel stressed that I'm not moving fast enough to get my shoes back on!

Well I live in Pittsburgh and its known for Kennywood park. We have the Pitt Fall which is just like the demon drop and power tower. They said I can wear my pump on it but I have to put it in my pocket. So far I had no problems whatsoever.  

Jordan

Top Thrill Dragster will mess with the pump. It exerts so many G-forces that it will push some insulin in. I always take my pump off when I ride rides.

I'm kinda new to my Omnipod, but I've been to Cedar Point a few times.  Top Thrill Dragster is a great coaster to experience if possible.  Maybe you could suspend the pump for a minute or two?

I want to ride Top Thrill Dragster but we would have to drive forever.