Adult Newly Diagnosed With Type 1

Just wanted to say hi, as a newly diagnosed type 1 adult. I don’t have any other adult type ones to get advice or support from, so I thought I’d try here. It is a comfort to know I’m not alone.

Yes well being diagnosed is a very new thing and it’s going to be hard with the lifestyle change

hello @cierhianna,

no you are not alone! there are a lot of adults here and I hope you are okay. the first year after diagnosis can be a little tough but you’ll make it and be okay.

Joe

Yeah I got diagnosed last week or so and I’m learning the ropes, the only thing I’m worrying about Now is how to afford the insulin

You can still get good old Regular and Ultralente insulins for pretty cheap. It doesn’t work as quickly/smoothly as the newer analog types, but that’s all we had until pretty recently and you can do OK with them. The insulin companies also have programs for people who are financially challenged, so look into those. Your doctor’s office might also be able to help with some samples.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I think the hardest thing to deal with was acceptance of the disease. I wish I had more support from my family and friends, but my husband is very supportive.

I’m an adult who was diagnosed 4 months ago. It is no small thing. I was so overwhelmed by the foreverness of it but know that management is doable and not as consuming as you would think. I’m sorry your friends and family aren’t being the most supportive but I learned quickly that many people can’t empathize with what they don’t understand. It is your new journey though! Let yourself feel all the stuff that has and will come up. I have tried very hard to be easy on myself. I really liked this article and sent it to my family.
http://asweetlife.org/feature/grief-a-necessary-part-of-accepting-diabetes/

If i take my insilun before i eat when my sugar is below 125 without eating something I drop too low even if i have eaten all my food. Does this happen to anyone else? I am very thin. I thought that may have something to do with it.

You might need to get an adjustment per unit off carbs from your endo.

I just read your profile, and I wonder if it has something to do with possibly going through the honeymoon phase. Shortly after diagnosis it is common for your body to produce more insulin on its own. This however is short lived. I remember going through this and having many lows because of taking insulin and then my body producing insulin as well. It is important to talk to your doctor about insulin adjustments during this phase if that is what is going on. Hope this is helpful:)

When i finally do take my shot after my sugar is high enough it goes up like it should . sometimes too high bc i waited.

Hi, all! I just passed my “6-month anniversary” of diagnosis and am finally feeling like my thinking is clearing up and that I can (mostly) avoid highs and lows. I really want to recommend the book Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner. I learned so much on how to manage boluses and what to do when my BG goes too high. This book (and also Using Insulin by John Walsh) got me on the right path. And as for the shock and anger and other emotions, well, time really does help. Thank goodness for support and guidance from the folks who have gone through this before us!

I was diagnosed about 8 years ago at age 41 and the adjustment is ongoing. It is so strange to go from never thinking about what you eat to always thinking about it! I still struggle with highs and lows and the frustration that things can change from day to day. I just recently found this group and I have already found that it is helpful to know that others are working on these things and have wisdom and encouragement to share.