Welcome to my new life!

Hello All! I was diagnosed with Type 1 on November 1st. (happy Diabetes awareness month to me!) I found out I had Type 1 after I was admitted to the hospital for an infection in my jaw. I had surgery and then went into ketoacidosis. I was placed in the ICU and I was completely incoherent for 2 full days!

I’m out of the hospital now and on the mend but my Type 1 diagnosis has me feeling a little overwhelmed. Between MDI and carb counting and finger pricks it’s just so much to manage! I think I am grieving the loss of my old life before type 1. I mean, 4 weeks ago I was a health, active adult and now all of this. It’s also feels strange that I am 30 years old and I am just getting diagnosed. Isn’t it usually children and teens who get type 1?

Anyways, I’m just looking to talk with someone who understands what I’m feeling. My friends and family are lovely and trying to be supportive but if I hear one more person say something like, “well, at least it isn’t cancer!” I think I am going to scream… Or even better: “one day you will learn how to control your diabetes with food” NOPE, NOT HOW THIS WORKS! And then there is the question, “are you sure you should eat that?” or just the judgemental looks… Im overwhelmed!

It has to get easier right… (I sure hope so! It’s only been a week and I can’t even)

Hi Amanda @zimmeama, welcome to the world of TypeOne Diabetes, and a Warm Welcome to TypeOneNation!

Let me suggest that your world has not come to an end, but rather that another dimension has been added to your already full an active life. I know it must feel that way but you will still be able to do what you did before and live your life to its fullest even though you have diabetes. A word of caution, don’t listen to [or read from] uninformed sources, but do read all you can from those sources who actually know about TypeOne which is significantly different form the several other conditions called Diabetes Mellitus. Management tactics differ considerably. Did you know that over 50% of those diagnosed with TypeOne are adults.

From what you wrote, you are starting off on the right foot with managing YOUR diabetes and you have many really good tools at your disposal and should do well. I was diagnosed with diabetes more than 60 years ago I had never heard of diabetes and the only place that “reading material” was available was in a Medical Library.

There are many days you will want or ned to scream - understandable. There are many members here who will listen and understand you when you need to vent and offer more understanding.

Hi Amanda! Welcome to TypeOneNation, and to the not-so-lovely life of a person with T1D. I’m so so so glad you found us!
I can absolutely understand how you’re feeling. Being diagnosed with T1D is scary and overwhelming. But I’ve had T1 for 8 years (I was diagnosed just before my 8th birthday) and I can 100% tell you, it does get easier. Right now, I’m sure you’re going through a “learning curve” where it feels hard to imagine that things will ever get “back to normal”. The trick is–rather than waiting for things to go back to normal, accept your “new normal”. MDI’s and finger pricks feel super unnatural at this point, but eventually it’ll all become second nature. (I know that sounds impossible–trust me. When I was diagnosed, I was a 7-year-old who couldn’t look at a needle without crying. It takes time, but it’ll happen.)
The other important thing to remember is that your new life isn’t any “worse” than your old one. You can still do whatever you want to do. You can achieve your goals, stay active and healthy… whatever you want. You just have to work a little harder to manage your health while doing all that amazing stuff. :slight_smile:
Please continue to use this website as a resource. As @Dennis said (he has a knack for phrasing things exactly how I want to say them), there will be days when you need to vent to someone and let out your frustration. That’s what we’re here for! You can also ask any questions that you may have (it sounds like you’re in pretty great control, but the folks on here have a lot to offer). You’re doing great and we’re all supporting you :two_hearts:

1 Like

I was in your shoes 16 months ago. Type 1 at age 54. WTH?
Best I can say is to just accept your diagnosis and then devise a plan (don’t worry, your plan will all start to formulate once the shock wears off, I promise you that)
I know you aren’t feeling this way now, but going thru DKA was a blessing in disguise. I went thru it as well. What it taught me was simple. I will do whatever it takes to NEVER have to go thru that again. I have that experience firmly ingrained in my memory and took pictures of my decline as well and have them saved in the recesses of my phone. Whenever I get discouraged (which does happen from time to time) I just pull up those pictures and remind myself what the other option looks like.
Unfortunately, this is your new reality. But it’s not all bad. You’re gonna develop a different view of life now. Some good, some bad. Well-meaning friends and family are gonna grate on your last nerve and then, sometimes, total strangers are gonna remind you that there are folks out there that actually understand and get it.
Mentally, you may not be at a good place now but you will be. Sometime in the future, you’ll be flipping channels on the TV and run across the movie “Steel Magnolias”. You won’t be as concerned for Julia Roberts as you used to be when Sally Fields is trying to pour juice down her throat. You’ll wonder instead why Julia Roberts didn’t just bring her purse to the Beauty Parlor. All that drama could have been avoided if she’d of just brought her purse.

Hey Amanda @zimmeama! I was in your shoes about 6 years ago. I am now 13. Diabetes has it’s ups and downs. Somedays you’ll think everything’s going perfect and other days, well, not so much. If you would like, I’ll pray for you and your new journey with Type One. If you ever need anything, please message me. I would love to help.