A1C 's BELOW 6.5

I was wondering, especially those who have been diabetic for more than 10 years:

How often are your A1C's at or below 7?  Do you suffer from many hypo's.  Do you feel that saying at having GREAT A1C's out weighs the hypo's, high diligence, etc.

I was chatting with my Dr. today and he said he'd like to see me below 7.  I'm usually at 7.  I know the risk/reward, but I just can't stay that focused on this one thing -- it was a lot easier when I was younger (although technology was not there) to have the time ...

Thoughts?

Happy Thanksgiving .. 

the lowest i've gotten mine in 16years is 7.8. i run higher than i do low, and bumping my lantus from 12 to 14 at night was enough to send me down into the 2's and 1's in the middle of the night. so it's always been hard to get my highs lower, as the slightly change seems to make me drop way to low 99% of the time.

When I was younger, they were usually in the high 7s. For the past five years, though, my A1c has been between 6.3-6.8, except for one 7.2.

I don't suffer from severe hypos. I actually don't go low more than maybe a few times per week.

Hi Scott:

I've been a T1 for 30 years and for me the key was getting on the pump and testing frequently.  I'm usually right around a 6.0.  Even when I was pregnant I managed to keep it around there.

If you're usually in the 7s does that mean that you're not testing your BG and/or correcting highs?

As far as hypos go, because I test so frequently I'm able to catch them before I go too low.  So hypos are never much of an issue.

I was always around 7 before going on the pump a little over a year ago.  Since then I've had a 6.7 and two 6.3s.  Since I've been pumping, I really don't suffer from many hypos at all.

first i have to admit i get my blood taken like every 6+ months cause i procrastinate

For the past few years they have all been below 7 with a few in the 5.5-6 range ... sometimes I have NO idea why they are so good maybe i get more lows than other people? cause i certainly dont feel like i have these perfect blood sugars at all...

but when i was younger in my teens to early twenties i always had an A1C of 10 prob higher cause i was horrible

[quote user="Kristen"]

Hi Scott:

I've been a T1 for 30 years and for me the key was getting on the pump and testing frequently.  I'm usually right around a 6.0.  Even when I was pregnant I managed to keep it around there.

If you're usually in the 7s does that mean that you're not testing your BG and/or correcting highs?

As far as hypos go, because I test so frequently I'm able to catch them before I go too low.  So hypos are never much of an issue.

[/quote]

Kristen I was just reading your page.. I think its so great that you have such good control and after 29 years and kids have no complications etc... did you always have such great control? how frequently do you test?

Hey Scott -  I've had it for 31 years now and pumping for the last nine.  My A1C's have been between 5.5 and 6.3 for the past 7 or 8 years.  I was in the 7's when I was injecting.  I rarely have hypos - maybe a couple times a month.   For me, it really hasn't been high diligence. I test usually 7 times a day but it's been about knowing myself, knowing my moods and knowing what foods are going to effect me which way.  I started really paying attention to how I was feeling -  I can tell you that if I'm getting irritated - beyond what I really should be - I'll be going high.  If my concentrations off, I'm going toward the lower end.  It sounds weird but it's worked for me.  There are many other little signs that I use to keep me in range becuase after all, our own body is our best measure to where we need to be.    

hi Scott - 31 years here and my a1c (after pumping) gets into the <6.4% when I am not travelling for work.  no hypos unless I make a "mistake", usually in math but sometimes in activity too.

Scott,

Before going on the pump I'm pretty sure my A1Cs were in the low-mid 7s, but after the pump I've been consistently under 7, usually around 6.7 or so except for a 6.3 and 7.0.  It depends on the day but I have had many severe hypos often due to exercise, and one incident (after pumping) that I should have been given glucagon.  I am low usually at least once a day.  And even if my A1Cs are decent I still feel like a pendulum.

I've been a diabetic for about 30 years.  For the past 20 years my A1C's have been between 5.9 and 6.2.  It does take a lot of diligence to keep it low - I'm at the gym 4-5 times a week for about 2 hours doing cardio and I test about 7-8 times a day.  I just started the pump about 2 weeks ago so hopefully my next A1C will be even better.  For work many of my clients are diabetics and I see the complications (vision problems and kidney dialysis) from not staying in control - and it is not a pretty sight.  I would much rather take the time and do what I have to do to stay in control than to end up like those clients.  And so far my hard work has paid off - no complications yet after 30 years!   

My last was 6.4. I have been below 7 consistently for the past year and a half or so, hovering around 7 before that. I would definitely say having the lower A1C outweighs the hard work. I can't justify not trying my best if I have the opportunity to avoid complications. However, I definitely do suffer hypoglycemia frequently. I probably average about one reading below 70 (4.0) a day. That being said, I'm currently trying hard to change that without giving up control - I think a lot of it has to do with having proper basal and bolus settings on the pump, and not insulin stacking (something I've been guilty of). I'm sure you are capable of maintaining the focus to do it, just make your health a priority. 

Best of luck

Dylan  

I guess this is a good reality check for me!!

I have been on the pump a good long time 10+ years -- just travel a lot and felt that an average sugar of 140 was OK, for me, but I see I really have no reason!!  I've had the CGMS for about 9 months and would check my sugar about 10+ times a day. Even though I go to the Dr. every 3 months I'd say .. 7 is fine ...  

THANKS FOR THE WAKE-UP CALL.  I think I've used diabetes as an excuse (personal) too long.  I could be doing better - always - and I do in certain areas of my life.  Hold that plane ... change of plans!!

Tomorrow I start NEW!!

Scott  

I am on an insulin pump...I have never had an A1C below 7. When I try to muscle or otherwise change the levels to 120 mg/dl range, consistently, over the past 28 years, I end up having severe insulin reactions...seizures, etc. I don't think it's an either/or thing, though. It's just that right now with my work schedule and life, etc., the safest route to at least control has been to avoid lows and prevent highs. Has anyone noticed that a change in control--for the better, no less--results in debilitating depression?

Don't know if this helps. I have only been t1 about a little over a year. I was 52 at dx. My last A1c was 6.8, I am on MDI. As far as hypo's not to bad. My software say's I am Above range 15.6%, Within 58.4, below 13% and hypo 13%. Just had my lowest and it was 43. By the way all you long timer's give this newbie lots of positive stuff with your long term good health, Thanks so much!!!!

11 years with T1D and I've hovered around 6.0 almost the whole time fortunately.

My lowest was 5.7 and highest was 6.9, but low 6's has been pretty much all I've known.  I definitely flirt with low's a lot more, averaging 1 a day, but I'm also overaggressive with curbing highs before they get too high, and lows are often a byproduct of that.  At the same time I've only been hospitalized once with a low.

Personally my treatment philosophy with diabetes prefers that to having a higher A1c and never going low.  It's a trade-off I'm willing to make to minimize future complications.

[quote user="Ideen"]

11 years with T1D and I've hovered around 6.0 almost the whole time fortunately.

My lowest was 5.7 and highest was 6.9, but low 6's has been pretty much all I've known.  I definitely flirt with low's a lot more, averaging 1 a day, but I'm also overaggressive with curbing highs before they get too high, and lows are often a byproduct of that.  At the same time I've only been hospitalized once with a low.

Personally my treatment philosophy with diabetes prefers that to having a higher A1c and never going low.  It's a trade-off I'm willing to make to minimize future complications.

[/quote]

Being low too often is JUST as bad as being high too often....that's why if you have a low A1C due to having too many lows, your endo SHOULD be trying to help you find a way to STOP those lows...

[quote user="Batts"]

Being low too often is JUST as bad as being high too often....that's why if you have a low A1C due to having too many lows, your endo SHOULD be trying to help you find a way to STOP those lows...

[/quote]

I guess I just don't see it that way.  I've been able to avoid dangerous lows, but I'm okay with having a 60 once a day and just drinking some juice to rebound.  Trust me, I don't TRY to make it happen...I take as little basal insulin as I can without having consistent highs.  But personally I think I'm doing myself more of a favor by avoid highs like the plague.

I've never figured out the correct basal rates to never go low, but not go high either...in other words, a basal pattern that causes my blood sugars to be perfect throughout the day.  It's either a wee bit too much and I run the occasional low, or not enough and I'm running high all day.  I don't seem to have a happy medium.  Thus I'd rather lean towards too much basal cause I loathe being high.

I see too many highs as way more dangerous than too many lows.  But I only say that b/c I don't have a history of seizures or hospitalizations though.  If I did have that history, I'd think my philosophy was stupid too.

I'm not judging you for having lows everyday, I'm just trying to point out that your last statement is misleading.

It doesn't matter if you have a history of hospitalizations or not due to highs or lows, regardless both are equally a concern when trying to avoid complications down the line.

My last two A1Cs have been 5.4 and 5.5 and I have lows probably 2-3 times a week but thats not bad at all.  The key I think is going to bed with good numbers and waiting an appropriate amount of time before eating to let your insulin get a head start.  I am on a pump.