20 Years old and my life is on hold

If you click on my profile it mentions that my A1c is 11.5 (last I checked about 4 weeks ago) and I don’t have a license because of that. I guess I’d like some feedback as to what keeps you motivated to keep up on your injections and testing, especially on the weekends. I wasn’t aware I had this site at my disposal and if I could get the attention of someone +/- 4 years my age that would be awesome too because the closest person I know of with T1D is my boss and we aren’t necessarily in the T1D Brotherhood Zone :slight_smile:

Anything else would be awesome:
Since I’ve started getting better at injecting whenever I eat I’ve put on about 24 lbs, major bummer.
I have some minor acne on my shoulders and face – I believe it’s tied in with my poor control.
My vision has also gotten bad in the last few years, partially associated with my numbers and partially associated with crappy genetics.

Hi 23 years old here. Just got diagnosed with type 1 about 4 months ago. It’s been somewhat depressing
, but Mostly motivated by wanting to live a long life to be honest.
I struggle with my weight too, but just gotta keep working at it I guess. It helps to talk to others who know what you are going through.
If you are forgetting to take shots you can always try an alarm watch or consider pump use. My pump has made my life a lot easier. Stay strong, I know it isn’t easy! You’ll be ok though

Thanks @rolltide! How is the pump working out for you? I haven’t thought about getting one but if I hear that some people out there find it helpful then, you know, I might reconsider :slight_smile:

My pump is working really well for me. It is fairly expensive to start, but is manageable especially if you have insurance.
Things that are nice about it
-can set alarms to remind you to bolus etc.
-it calculates bolus for you
-doesn’t let you give yourself too much insulin (calculates active insulin)
-oftentimes the meter they give you will send your sugars right to the pump

It is very convenient system, I’ve really been enjoying it.

what keeps you motivated to keep up on your injections and testing, especially on the weekends.
I'm not quite sure what "motivated" means.

In my case, whenever I lunge after the short term sense of freedom that the delusion of pretending I’m not diabetic can bring, I usually know that I’ll just end up back at the same place only feeling even worse than I did before I started to abuse myself in the mistaken belief that doing so would be “freeing”.

It is somewhat ironic, no? If you don’t bother with attempting to control your D then you ultimately end up limiting yourself, not freeing. On the other hand, if you do what feels restrictive and get better control over your BG, then you actually are much more free to do the things “normal” people do.

For really deep philosophy, how about this tidbit from Buckaroo Banzai: “… remember, no matter where you go, there you are.” :wink:

-iJohn

How is the pump working out for you? I haven’t thought about getting one but if I hear that some people out there find it helpful then, you know, I might reconsider :)
A pump is not a panacea. And it's hard to know how much of a benefit it might be or how a person will react to using one. In some ways it can simply things, but in other ways & for some people it might seem like "too much work".

People are different. There are pros & cons. Look both ways before walking into traffic. et cetera, et cetera.

-iJohn

@rolltide I didn’t realize it can recognize active insulin, that’s a question I had about it in the back of my mind.

@zjohnnyr
"It is somewhat ironic, no? If you don’t bother with attempting to control your D then you ultimately end up limiting yourself, not freeing. On the other hand, if you do what feels restrictive and get better control over your BG, then you actually are much more free to do the things “normal” people do."
When you put it like that it hits me how spot on that is. Lieing to myself that I’m okay to put off dosing and that the 'laxed approach means I’m free-er.

OK Levi,

We aren’t separated by much except that I got motivated - after 10 years of not caring and letting myself go and eating whatever moved me. All right, I’ve got a number of years on you but I was diagnosed T1D when I was a teen so I could say, “been there, done that”. Yeah, why don’t you set a goal for yourself, something to do with your life [yes you could easily live another 70 years] and then go for it - don’t feel sorry for yourself and shed the “why me” attitude.

I was motivated by a good, rather pretty woman who wouldn’t continue dating me unless I saw a good “diabetes” doctor and start taking care of myself - at that point I hadn’t visited a doctor or had a blood test in 5 years. Yes, I kept the appointment she made for me with a doctor and we’ve now been married 49 years and have a couple of great kids and grandkids who now encourage me.

If you don’t want to use a pump, get yourself a very easy to carry insulin pen, an easy to carry blood testing device and start reading food labels until you get an idea how many carbs of each food are in the SERVING SIZE YOU eat. The rest is easy if you know your carb : insulin ratios and remember to inject at your meals. My problems were and still are forgetting to take the insulin and not taking into consideration exercise lag effect on my BG. (If your doctor or diabetes educator can’t help you with determining carb ratios I may be able to offer “non-professional” assistance.)

Smile and enjoy life - yeah, life is good,

Dennis

Sorry, I realize that this post is a little old but it struck me that I needed to reply.

I am 24 now, so I’m pretty close to your age. When I was in high school and just getting out of high school 15-19. I was not in control of my diabetes. I also had really high A1C’s. It was like all my friends do and eat what they want so I did that too.
When I reached about 19 I really had an epiphany. I would feel so much better if I just started taking my insulin and checking my sugar when I was supposed too.
No one is perfect at keeping the numbers level, just know that. But my A1C’s are much better now than before. I realized that not taking care of myself was going to have some harsh side effects later on. Someone told me that your “first 10 years will effect the next 10yrs”. And that really stuck for some reason.
Before I would skip shots because I was “too busy”. Or thought my sugar wont get high that fast “It can wait”. But doing that and making excuses did not make me feel very good. I would feel awful all the time and I hated that. I wanted to feel better.

So that was my motivation.

I was just scrolling through recently updated posts and this one jumped out at me. I’m 23 years old (diagnosed at 6), and coming out of a diabetes burnout phase myself. There was a large amount of time where I totally fell off the diabetes wagon and I ended up feeling awful. I’ve since changed/added diabetes technology to help me remember and be more precise and began a new job at the JDRF national office.

What I would suggest, based on personal experience, is looking into different technology that is available and reading online T1D blogs. This site is great for talking to others and connecting, but there are so many personal blogs that are out there that are fantastic. In terms of technology, I’m on a Dexcom Share CGM, a pump and using a OneTouch Verio Sync glucose meter. The CGM and glucose meter stay updated to two apps on my iPhone so I can see patterns, etc., which are helping to keep me accountable. There is also a book that I’m reading, written by my favorite blogger, Kerri Sparling (SixUntilMe), called Balancing Diabetes. It’s great so far! And I definitely recommend it to any T1D and their family/friends.

I hope my little bit of insight is helpful! I wish you the best of luck.

-Shelby

what keeps you motivated to keep up on your injections and testing, especially on the weekends.

Set up a goal, like for an instance set a target A1c, this will help you to be motivated. Getting lower A1c could also get back you license. its like hitting 2 birds in one stone; lower A1c plus your license back. I am on a multiple injections a day (4x to be exact), I also check my sugar 5 to 6x a day. Involve someone you love about your goals so that she can help you out reach your goal. and don’t forget to rewards yourself when you hit your goal. Good luck to you!

cathyhugs

A beautiful response and advice @cathyhugs24 - you said lots in a very few words.

I see from your profile that you have had a long journey with diabetes - keep up your good work.