10 year already?!

As of this past April I am sad to say I have had Diabetes for 10 years. I mean I am so used to it now. I never really knew what it felt like to not live without it. Does anyone else wish that there was like just a sticker or something to treat it?

Well, Congratulations to YOU! @laurescy33 .

You have brought yourself through what to many is a traumatic period. And from what I read in your note, you have lived your life and kept diabetes in control and let it live with you. Keep up the good work, live the life you want to live in spite of the fact that you have ben burdened by T1.
K

I know that feeling. I was 16 (a month shy of 17) and on vacation with my family when I suddenly realized “whoa… it’s been 10 years.” It was not a good day for me. I don’t think my parents understood why I was in such a sour mood. And like you, I don’t really remember what it’s like not to have diabetes. In a lot of ways that’s a blessing. I’ve encountered so many people who were diagnosed later in life and couldn’t get past the freedom they had lost. It’s a lot harder on them, I think. All the same, I’m pretty sure everyone wishes there was a sticker or some other easy fix. :slight_smile:
I just passed my 22-year anniversary (and 3rd for Celiac). 25 is going to be another tough year, I think. My advice: find reasons to celebrate and remember that you’re not alone in this!

@bsteingard - Being alive is a reason to celebrate! If I had been born 75 years ealier, I would have died when I was 19, and it wouldn’t have been pretty.

Congrats on 10 years I guess. But, it gets to be a routine as I’m sure you’ve found out. I was diagnosed at 19 and am now 3 times that. Craziness. Not desirable, but it is life for us.

Keep up the good work.

that’s the way life goes sometimes… long days and short years.

I stopped wishing for a cure or a miracle or that “I might wake up and this is all a dream” a very very long time ago - it’s not like I don’t care, it’s just that it started to feel like an incredible waste of time and that life was moving on even if I didn’t want it to.

and then I turned around, blinked twice and now I am fifty (today’s my birthday) where the heck did the time go? =)

@DDrumminMan: Agreed. Several of my friends are “over” celebrating their birthdays [we’ve all recently turned or are about to turn 30 :-/ ], but I still like to make a day of it for just that reason. Kids were dying from diabetes even when I was diagnosed; I’m extremely grateful I wasn’t one of them.

@Joe: happy birthday!

@DDrumminMan: Agreed! Most of my friends are “over” celebrating their birthdays, but I still like to make a day of it for just that reason. Kids frequently died from diabetes even when I was diagnosed; I’m extremely grateful not to have been one of them.

@Joe: Happy birthday!