Zip lining + height fear + blood sugars =?

I'm going zip lining for the first time on friday night(for the twilight zip!) and I'm a little nervous about what to do for my blood sugar.

i've got a fear of heights, and im kinda worried my bloodsugar will drop..i've been a little on the low side the last few days. i can bring a fancy pack with me..as long as i can strap it to my back, or the lady said one of the tour guides can put a juicebox in their radio pack for me.

the whole thing is 2hours long. and i'm wondering if i should just test before hand and drink a juice box if i'm under 10mmol/L encase i do start to drop, so i don't go low..and then just take a correction shot after when we head home...

like purposely try to be a little on the higher side...

I would err on the side of being high.  Stress can raise your blood sugar, and if for some reason the stress goes away, you could be left with a bad low in the middle of your trip.  Be careful with your afterward correction, when you calm down you could still end up low.

Being nervous can make me low too. (Blind date in high school ... went low ... don't want to think about it, lol).

I guess I don't really have any advice other than that I would try to find places for multiple juice boxes!

i'm sure you've already thought about this, but if it is a trip with hiking between ziplines, make sure you have enough carbs to cover that (or lower your basal, if you're on a pump).

And have fun! A ziplining trip is one of the most fun ones I've ever been on! Where will you be ziplining?

there's a trail up to the top, but they drive you up there and then according to their site there's almost no walking.

i think i'll just aim to be a little high and test before adn after and just bring a juice box or a fruit source bar or something.

Batts, I would stay a little higher as well. You can check right before you go on the zip line and know whether or not you need to drink juice or not. you can also carry smarties in your pockets and just pop them in your mouth if you feel low too, or any other sort of candy.

ya im thinking now i might just bring a box of smarties and get my friend to put them in one of his pockets cuz he always seems to have zippers haha.

For what it is worth, I owuldn't worry a bit of a high blood glocuose and then correcting afterwards.  The lo9ws are far more dangerous than the highs.  I went to the top of Mona Kea in Hawaii last year and had to fight lows all the way.  Heights and exercise seem to require more BTUSs, ergo more calories.  But stress alos moves you in conjtarsting directions.

I'dgo a bit high and see to bringing it s=down after.  But testing is the key as awareneess is important.

Best of luck and enjoy yourself.

Frank Devlin

Is "zip lining" what I think it is?  Attaching and zipping across a static line at heights?  Or am I missing something?

Are you going in Whistler?  I went in Whistler and it was awesome!!

[quote user="Frank Devlin"]

For what it is worth, I owuldn't worry a bit of a high blood glocuose and then correcting afterwards.  The lo9ws are far more dangerous than the highs.  I went to the top of Mona Kea in Hawaii last year and had to fight lows all the way.  Heights and exercise seem to require more BTUSs, ergo more calories.  But stress alos moves you in conjtarsting directions.

I'dgo a bit high and see to bringing it s=down after.  But testing is the key as awareneess is important.

Best of luck and enjoy yourself.

Frank Devlin

Is "zip lining" what I think it is?  Attaching and zipping across a static line at heights?  Or am I missing something?

[/quote]

ya thats what im afraid of, going low and having to fight it the whole time and wasting my money!! i wanna have fun!!

that's excatly what zip lining is :) the tallest spot is 150ft and the longest zip is 1300ft

[quote user="Heather Cole"]

Are you going in Whistler?  I went in Whistler and it was awesome!!

[/quote]

i wish!

nah, i'm going to the one in sooke for their summer twilight zip :D

a lot cheaper than driving to whistler haha

well...when i was at diabetes camp we did high ropes. its like..you walk on platforms and things about 30 above the ground. it was SCARY!! it was weird though cause i felt really low when i was up there but i tested and i was..11 i think. after i got down though, i tested and was 3.8 weird!! i think maybe the feelings of fear and low-ness are similar!? i dunno but it was weird and this post doesnt really make sense, sorry...i feel low and will mow go test!!!! ^_____^"