Which pump should I use?

Hi! I am thinking about getting a pump and I want the t slim but I am wondering what you recommend for me. I just wanted to know what you guys recommend and why. I am 11 years old and I have the dexcom G5.

Hi Sofia @Diabetesgirl ,

The decision as to which pump you may choose should be between you and your diabetes care team - the people, you included, know you best. And another person is whomever may be footing the bill now and for the duration of the pump’s life.

That said, I’ve only used Medtronic pumps - three progressively improved models. Just a few days ago I was at a TypeOne group meeting with two Medtronic representatives and I was very impressed by the 670G. During the summer ago an Omnipod representative made a presentation for us and I was impressed - at that particular meeting there were three or four young people who were wearing Omnipod. These kids were very active and the pump didn’t even appear to bother their activities and their mothers all thought they were a perfect feet. The 16 year old daughter, an athletic person, of one of my doctors began wearing an Omni this past summer and has had good results.

Keep us informed about your decision and then your experience with it. I’d bet that there are a lot of young T1 [and their parents] who could benefit from what you write. Thanks for being here and contributing you experiences.

I am currently on the Medtronic 670G and really liking it. I takes about a month to get used to but now my constant worry about my BS are so much better now. I never get low at night anymore (I used to several times a week on the Omnipod). I switched from the Omnipod/Dexcom to the Medtronic 670G and so happy I did!

Hi Sofia,
Congrats on taking the first steps of getting an insulin pump. I feel that ultimately the decision comes down to what works best for you and your lifestyle. For me I have been on the Omnipod for almost a year now, and I absolutely love it. I highly recommend it especially if you are very active. Because it is tubeless it gives you the freedom do be more active without having to worry about tubing. Plus it also allows you to have more freedom in what you wear. Pump with tubes often require you to either wear something with pockets or a belt strap. With the omnipod you are able to wear dresses and pocket-less attire. Remember you have the option to test run a couple of pumps before settling.
Good luck.