Whats your basal rate?

I think I have the lowest:

9am - 5pm = .025

5pm - 3am = 0

3am - 9am = .2

Yeah, I think that 0 is really strange too.

12am-7am........     0 .40

7am-7pm...........      0 .30

7pm-12am.............  0.40

my endo says that I am her lowest basal rate for anyone my age.

What's the significance in basal rates? Like is it better to have lower ones, or?

I had to bump mine back today. I am now at .35

.5, all day and all night.

[quote user="Alyssa"]

What's the significance in basal rates? Like is it better to have lower ones, or?

[/quote]

There is no actual "significance" to basal rates.  They can vary a lot from one person to another, depending on many factors, such as a person's size, activity level, resistance to insulin, etc.  Figuring out one's basal rates is actually the trickiest part of starting with a pump.  As you can see from all the posts here, some people have just one basal rate throughout the day, some people have several.  The ideal basal rate(s) is based upon the amount of insulin required to keep your BGs in target range, without accounting for the carbs taken in when you eat (for which you give a bolus of insulin).

I assume you are not using a pump, so I hope my explanation was clear enough! 

Allyssa,

I believe that some people are just more sensitive to insulin then others.  It definatly doesn't mean we are better diabetics or something:)

my average is about 0.8 U/hr, ranging from 0.5 to 1.3 

[quote user="Happy Vegan"]

[/quote]

Been running high bumping it up to .4 Hope that helps. I see my Endo next week maybe he will have some suggestions.

today we changed mine slightly...still trying to find those "magic numbers"

12am - 4am : 0.850u/hr

4am - 12am - 1.250u/hr

judging by my afternoon numbers, i'm expecting a split and doing a different u/hr rate during the afternoon leading up to dinner.

10:30pm - 5:00am:  .6

5:00am - 7:30am:  .75

7:30am - 10:30pm:  .5

Going from .6 to .75 for a couple hours in the a.m. has really helped my morning BG numbers.

Hello everybody, Biagio Gladiator writing from Italy, Milan.

I am new and i apoligize for bad English.

My basal rate during week is

00:00-03:00 1.2

02.00-09.00 0.7

09:00-13:00 0.6

13:00-17:00 0.9

17:00-21:00 0.7

21:00-24:00 1.2

So 6 different dusing day. And suring WE i have another one

Some remarks:

1) here in Italy, Doctors (not all but mine YES) use to find the pefect basal (which is called "taylor dress" made onto ourselves, methot of fasts.  We have to skip one meal each day and check blood glucose every hour , if value is in target 80-160 and between a check and the other difference is less then 30 , then test is ok. Tests also include night with wakes up on odd hours one night and evem hours another day. It's hard i know but  found perfect basal is very important

2) With sport i have reduced total basal rate by day of 40%

All the best

Biagio Gladiator

"Yes, i believe, i run - I PUMP MY RUN"

i'm really hating this whole "let's figure out your basal rates" thing with the pump..i'm exhausted to say the least from it all.

Sorry Batts, i do not understand English wery well.

I am new so maybe i wrote or i did something wrong, in this case , please accept my sincere apologize.

But i did not understand what you wrote me .

Thanks

Biagio

usually my basal rate is 1.2/hr during the day and 1.8 over nite

[quote user="Chris"]

No pump anymore.  I got tired of having a pump.  It really started interfering with life.  One time I went out of town and had a scare.  Well it was more than one time.  I don't have much body fat so the place where the pump needle goes in got kinked alot.  Well it would get kinked and I would have like a high that was like 600bg.  So I had to take a pack with me every where I go.  Normal insulin and needles encase the pump failed PLUS all the extra pump supplies encase my pump needs and tubes had a problem (which they did all the time).

So I ditched the pump.  It was leaving scars and it felt like I had a extra arm that just got in the way.

[/quote]

Answer: 1.00u 24/7

OK, I agree with Chris*  on the pump although I have been using one for 10+ years.  It is a pain to deal with and I travel a lot.  I have to carry extra extra supplies esp when overseas - even for a week or two.  I have a CGM also -- which is cool -- but another thing to deal with attached to my body.

My doc likes to try and set several basal rates -- but most of us know that .25 plus or minus per hour is not worth dealing with unless you really see a difference.  And dual-wave and square-wave , please, I may have used those 6 times in 10 years and it was just to see if the worked!

Scott

* when you put on some fat in your later years it will be far less of a problem!  More people should have your problem!

[quote user="Biagio"]

Sorry Batts, i do not understand English wery well.

I am new so maybe i wrote or i did something wrong, in this case , please accept my sincere apologize.

But i did not understand what you wrote me .

Thanks

Biagio

[/quote]

haha sorry Biagio, it wasn't directed at you. just a general comment about pumping and basal rates :)

[/quote]

Been running high bumping it up to .4 Hope that helps. I see my Endo next week maybe he will have some suggestions.

[/quote]

Over the weekend I bumped it up to .45. Whatever. So far so good.

Hello Scott and Chris, i am Biagio from Italy, Milan.

Let me apologize if i do not understand and write English very well.

Sorry to hear you had experiences of drop-out with pumps.

In my case i had to start to use pump because of better manage my sport which i practise regularly with medium intensity and duration.

Having into body basal insuline with 12-20 hours action caused me many troubles during my running and swimming session (level high before, low during, very high after)

And also basal insuline such as Lantus caused me very severe ipo (less then 30) which now i have completely forgot.

Besides of that with pump i need almost 40% of insuline less when i did use injections.

Now i am very happy because i can adapt my basal rate to every situations.

Of course for sure i always take with me all materials for emergency but i consider this a good compromise if i have good blood glucose level.

For sure i know that everytime i swim i have to replace cannula and in some cases when it's hot the insuline cartdidge i have to relace it before it's has finished but i'ts all experience.

And for sure i know that if i get a strange high value i immediately replace all set with also insuline cartdtrige included.

Also me i have never used dual-wave and square-wave bolus, only immediate bolus even when i eat pizza are ok ( i do 2 immediate bolus splitted 50% and 50% , one when eat and second aftyer 2 hours)

In Italy now we are starting to have first Wireless pumps.

They are wireless but not tubeless like omnipod.

When finally we will have tubeless like Omnipod i think will be more easier.

Biagio

Hello Batts, indeed you are very right , pumping and basal rate are so boring !!!!!!! eh eh eh eh

But you know how much we Italians love fashion, and let me say that my pumps allow me to have a very nice dress taylored on me which i can quick adapt to every circumptances.

So when i run i trasform my Giorgio Armani dress into an amazing Nike running cloth, into a Speedo when i swim eh eh eh .

It's important for me have the right basal rate which theoretically keep blood glucose level under control 24 h with no food (fast is colled, right ?)

In this way Mr.D does not hit and hurt me !!!

Ciao

Biagio