What’s the BEST tasting sugar substitute?

I’ve tried so many … ALL have a ridiculous after taste … my daughter loves cream of wheat with butter/sugar I’m trying to find a sub for sugar because the C of W has so many carbs alone. Any suggestions?

Stevia doesn’t seem to leave an aftertaste. It’s a bit more expensive tho. Yellow (I think that’s Sucralose) is second (in my opinion). Have you thought of fruit instead of any sugar? Frozen bananas and cinnamon in C of W, mmmmmm. Or maybe frozen blueberries or strawberries. Healthier.

Of course, bananas have a high glycemic index, so use sparingly. Cinnamon is supposed to help regulate BG. Just a thought.

Thanks… she won’t eat fruit in anything… she’s a super picky eater… I’ve spent so much money on sugar subs I’m about to give up…and I can’t give them ( sugar subs) away nobody else likes them either…:joy:

I use Truvia in my coffee. I get a huge box of packets at Costco for a lot less than most places I have looked.

STEVIA. I buy the 275 gram bags at around $5 to $6. Supposedly equivalent to about 1.5 cups sugar. But honestly, I’ll use a teaspoon of sugar on cereal or a dash on some fruits.

Stevia and Truvia are both AMAZING. :smiley:

I use Truvia as well. I have little packets for using on my cereal & have a big bag of PureVia for baking.

Splenda is the best tasting for me It is just lighter and need more compared to regular sugar

1 Like

Without a doubt stevia (for coffee, tea, etc.). It almost tastes sweeter than regular sugar. A must have, and virtually no carbs too.

My wife and I have agreed on splenda and walmarts great value equivalent.

My sense of taste is not very refined - I buy whatever is on sale at the time and have used Sweet & Low, Equal, Splenda, Stevia - you name it. I’m fine with any of them and would have to do a side by side taste test to note differences between most of them - although I think Stevie does stand out.
I think what’s best is really a matter of personal preference and you have to try them to find the one you like best. It’s unfortunate to invest in a box only to find out you can’t stand it; but if you can’t take it back you could donate it to a shelter or your office’s coffee station in case others want to use it.

1 Like

To explain our decision, my wife has a very sensitive taste reflex now. Personally I’ve lived through cyclamates, saccarin, sucyrol, sweet & low, and all of the new sweeteners. I myself prefer splenda and stevia now. My wife is southern and sweet tea is as common as grits for her, me not so much. After we were first married she made a pitcher of iced tea and served me a glass. I took 1 sip and put the glass down. She seemed upset and asked what was wrong. I considered the tea way too sweet for my liking and then asked if she had used sugar and how much. She answered yes and had used 2 cups for the gallon of tea. I smiled and explained that sugar was my nemesis and couldn’t drink it. She apologized and asked what she could do. We came up with a plan for there to be 2 pitchers of tea 1 sweetened the southern way and 1 unsweetened for me to add my equal to, problem solved. Fast forward to today. We have had issues with her having after taste issues from the sweeteners and trying to decide on a lasting solution for the tea situation because now she drinks my tea. She made 2 pitchers 1 with stevia and 1 with splenda using the same recipe. We both tested a glass of each batch and for me there weren’t any issues, but for her splenda won the challenge after her making several funny faces from stevia, soooo, splenda is the new victor for her use in sweet tea. As long as she’s happy, lifes good. For me, as long as it’s cold and wet, I’ll survive.

Splenda is the only artificial sweetener I like. I didn’t use artificial sweeteners for over 20 years until I became a type one. I even buy the Smuckers sugar-free jam which is made with Splenda and I love that too! Hope this helps.

Stevia liquid… Get mine at Walmart. Be careful of Truvia. It as additives that make it negative.

mine was truvia, it is really good