Alternative sweetners to Splenda and Equal

Has anyone found an alternative sweetner to sugar that they like ? I have found I like Splenda or Equal in tea.  I am trying to get use to it in coffee. I put one tsp of sugar in my coffee and am experimenting with a little bit of Splenda to make it taste to my liking.

I don't like Stevia in my beverages but found that when I put it on cantaloupe that wasn't sweet enough Stevia tasted Ok.  What has been your experience ?

I like stevia only because its healthier  than splend or equal.  It does have a bit of an after taste though.  I find it a litte too sweet, I use half a packet in my coffee. 

[quote user="chrisilyg"]

I like stevia only because its healthier  than splend or equal.  It does have a bit of an after taste though.  I find it a litte too sweet, I use half a packet in my coffee. 

[/quote]

I use stevia as well at home (usually just use regular sugar when i'm out and getting tea or something) and i bought a box of the "packlets" and only use about half the small packet, then save the rest for later. i've heard it tastes like black liquorice if you use to much.

That is good advice.  I use a little bit of Splenda in drinks.  I should experiment with a little bit of stevia. I guess it is healthier than Splenda because it comes from plants.  I should really do some research on splenda and stevia and see what I come up with.

Splenda is derived from real sugar, it's just been chemically altered. So, technically, Splenda is a plant product too. (Splenda replaces an OH- molecule with Cl-)

That's your science lesson for the day :o)

I'm not type 1, my daughter is, but I use splenda in everything. Love it. They even make splenda brown sugar.