What does your friends think of you being a diabetic?

HI , ITS SUCH A DRAG !! BUT WHEN MY FRIENDS FIND OUT THEY ASK WHAT IS DIABETES, OR IS IT FROM EATING ALOT OF SUGAR!LOL, I JUST TELL THEM THAT I MY BODY IS DIFFERENT AND WHAT CAN HAPPEN IF I EAT THIS OR THAT , TELL ME WHAT EXPERIENCE YUO HAVE HAD BY YOUR FRIENDS FINDING OUT OR ASKING YOU WHAT IT IS?

My friends were never really interested in how it happens or what it means, but I had interesting experiences about diabetes.  A few friends never understood why I always have to use the bathroom, even if my control is good.  One time I went low and had to stop for food on the way to dinner, and a friend of mine didn't understand why.  One of my friends actually told me how much he respected me for dealing with diabetes, in that he had never seen me treat it as anything other than part of my life.  So overall, I've had good and bad reactions to it.

my friends hound me with questions and i dont really mind it ne more cause i would rather them b educated then them b un educated and just assume things about me

my friends are really supportive and when i am feeling down about diabetes they are really good at helping me get my mind off of it! they are always asking me questions but it doesnt bother me cuz they just want to know more so they can understand more.

my friends don't really care, which is exactly how i want it. because i don't make a big deal out of diabetes, i don't want them to either.

my friends and i always joke about "crazy diabetics." but i prefer my friends to take it lightly. i don't get uptight about it and it helps keep me calm knowing they don't get worked up either. they're all knowledgeable about what it is, how it works, and how to take care of it so if a problem arises, they're quick to respond or help out. otherwise, it's just one of the many cool characteristics that make up "C."

I don't really have any friends... 

But the people that do ask me about it will listen for a few seconds then they feel like they have heard enough and are ready to move on to something else.  I think it's too much for them to try to comprehend...and I suppose it would take way too much time and effort to understand it all if they aren't close to someone that lives with it.

:o)

i just made a friend and when she found out she is like oh so is that what you get your medicin from?(talking about my pump) and she sais she has lots of friends with diabetes.

My friends are supportive but they dont understand. They dont have diabetes so they will never fully understand what we go through. They look at me being sick with diabetes the same as the look at someone being sick with the cold. They dont know the extent of things and the fight we have to go through to keep ourselves operable.

Im usually the life of the "party" so to speak. Im naturally outgoing and fun. I let people know that Diabetes will not hold me back from living. Of course we have our down and depressed days...then we rebound and come back full force.

So all in all...."what my friends think"....i dont care. Its about what "I" think. Diabetes lives with me. I dont live with Diabetes.

I remember back in high school when I was first diagnosed having to explain to everyone what diabetes was, aka that it didn't just mean I couldn't eat sugar ever. I have a few friends that will ask me from time to time how I am doing health wise but other than that it was more of a learning experience for them.

Recently I just moved across the country and went to nursing school, where I made a bunch of new friends. Since they are all nurses they have a better understanding of what it means when I say I'm a type 1 diabetic. They don't really treat me any differently expect when I get new things like the pump which I started a few weeks ago they each wanted a little tutorial about how it works. So, over all I feel like my friends are very supportive and try not to treat me any differently because of diabetes, but I like teaching them about it :)

for me, it has been hard for me to find friends that truely care enough. I have people not realize when i say i need to stop in check my blood sugar  i mean right now! once my so called "best friend" took me to arbys when i had no money and told me she wouldnt pay for me. i didnt end up eating until dinner the next day. I was appalled that my best friend wouldnt feed me! And in high school i have had people tuck on my pump tubbing, make fun of me, and all that junk, but i just had to devlop a thick skin and not let it get to me.

My friends were pretty cool about it, they were just glad I finally went to the doctor because they thought I was bulimic! Sometimes they ask stupid questions that I don't want to answer but, because they are concerned I always answer!