Wanting to get pregnant

Hello everyone! whew, i've been looking for some type of website that had support for Type 1 diabetics for awhile now. 

I got married last year, and my only dream has been to become a mother. I'm twenty-one years old so I'm young but I want my own family more than anything. I started chatting with my doctors about a year ago, and they put a halt on me trying to get pregnant as soon as the words came out my mouth. They told me how I would have a baby with disabilities and I would suffer many miscarriages if I can even get pregnant. Given at the time my A1C was high, it was at a 9 but I have brought it down to 7.3 and they're still having me hold off. Hearing that I may never be able to get pregnant is the worlds most tragic news to me. They even suggested as if I were to get pregnant I would need to get an abortion or if our protection fails I need to get plan B right away. This is alot for me to stomach, and I really need someone who has been going through this or has dealt with similar situations. 

Emily

Hi Emily! Taking the step to start a family as a T1 is a big one...but it's not a step that is impossible! First things first, my dear: FIND A NEW DOCTOR. This quack sounds like he (or she) is relying on medical information from 50 years ago. There is absolutely no reason why you cannot have a healthy pregnancy and child with T1. Before conceiving, my doctor recommended that my A1c be as close to a non-diabetic A1c as possible, which is great advice, as it sets you up for successful blood glucose control throughout your pregnancy. I found out I was pregnant with my A1c at 7.7%, but am working feverishly with a CDE, dietician, my endo, and OB to get it down. I had a very successful pregnancy with my first daughter (induced at 38.5 weeks due to protein in my urine). She was incredibly healthy and is now a thriving 3 year old bundle of personality. So, with all of this being said, heed my advice and find yourself a new set of doctors (there are plenty out there!). You can do this! It is possible! I am living proof of this. You CAN conceive a child. You CAN  achieve a healthy pregnancy. You CAN have a healthy child! You CAN DO THIS, girl. You truly can. Just find the right doctor to guide you along the way. I was scared s***less when I found out I was pregnant with my first. But with the combination of caring doctors and self care, my mind was put at ease. Granted, it's not a cakewalk, but it is SO worth it in the end. Go get 'em, girl.

Hey Emily!

Definitely, 100%, find a new doctor like Katie said. Pregnancy is completely possible for you, you don't have a much increased risk of miscarriage with T1D (I had one, they told me it was NOT my diabetes), and it does not mean you are infertile. I remember hearing similar nonsense from doctor's growing up..... but it is complete BS! My son was born back in February 100% healthy and shows no signs of having ANY issues whatsoever 7 months later. My a1c was 6.7 when I conceived and got down as low as 5 but then snuck up to 7 during pregnancy (I got some steroids for baby's lungs when i went into preterm labor- again not diabetes related). You will be fine. My endo said the most amazing thing to me when I called him in tears after talking to a high risk OB "Hand them your pump and tell them to do better. They can't." It made me relax so much after hearing that. Any doctor that recommends an abortion just because you are diabetic is NOT a good doctor. Even if you conceive with a higher a1c you can work hard, get your numbers down, and everything will be fine. I'm not diminishing the real risks... but at the same time don't let them bully you. I recommend talking with OB's and sort of interviewing them before getting pregnant. I did this and found an incredible doctor who let me manage it all on my own with input from my endo (Even during birth...and I delivered naturally!) Also, if you don't have one already, consider a pump. It makes all the adjustments so much easier!

Congratulations on your marriage and good luck!

Well, thats the thing. I have one of the best diabetes doctors in Colorado. I think he's just stressing how important it is to make it happen. My OBGYN told me the most about how it wouldn't happen if my body doesn't get better. My diabetes doctor did say if I was to get pregnant tomorrow, we would be able to make it happen but it'd be difficult. I know it's not easy, and I know I may not have a perfectly healthy child but my husband and I are 100% okay with it. I'm ready for the challenge. Every bone in my body was made to be a mother, and I will make it happen. I really appreciate the words of encouragement from you ladies. I truly felt alone in this world, and no one could understand. Especially seeing people all around me getting pregnant accidently and I am not able to. It tore me up inside. They did say it was also harder to conceive if you're trying with a higher A1C did anyone else experience that. Does anyone have any books or information I can look to? I don't know any other Type 1's except my two brothers, and they obviously cannot help me. I do have a minimed pump and a dexcom sensor. They also gave me several new medications, including metformin which makes me so sick all the time. I hate it. Thanks so much ladies. I'm glad to know it is possible.

Try the book "Balancing Pregnancy With Pre-Existing Diabetes." I just bought it and it's been a great resource. It's highly rated on Amazon. Good luck :)

Hello Emily. I am sorry for the experience you have had. I have found this website helpful in finding that having a healthy pregnancy is very possible! I am in my very early 30s, and my husband and I just started trying a few months ago. My doctor and diabetes educator have been honest in a kind way. They just let me know what my goals need to be. I am doing pretty good overall so getting preggo now would not be terrible. Keep us posted! :)

Thank you, yah i'm very excited about stumbling upon this website. It's just good to know i'm not the only one. May I ask what your goals are?

I have an appointment here in a couple weeks. So i'm hoping it's something good.

Well I need to get my fructosomine (spelling?) down. My A1C is always good but it is not a true measure because it never matches with my actual blood sugars. But I think my doctor when pregnant they want resting bs to be like below 95, and no higher than 135 after meals. But I guess they are just with normal goals or something. I can't exact numbers! lol

Has anyone take Progesterone? I recently went off birth control because the hubby and I are TTC. I had two periods, and then now no period!! All urine and blood pregnancy test so far has been negative. It has been almost two months since I had a period! I spoke with my primary care doctor, and she suggested waiting two weeks and then possible taking progesterone. Any thoughts? I have done a little reading online about it. Now this same doctor also mentioned going back on birth control for 3 months after progesterone to regulate period! Umm no. Don't want to do that. Any feedback would be fabulous! :) Thanks!!

My goals are to aim for 100 fasting and no higher than 140 post meal. The dietitian recommended keeping your carb count consistent throughout the day (no higher than 45 for me...but I sometimes can't help going over just a bit!) and protein at every meal.

Ha. I feel you, those goals are where my doctor told me, and it seems damn near impossible.

Yeah i know how you feel with the darn goals!!! Lol

Hi Emily! I'm twenty years old and my fiancé and I have been talking about trying to start a family too! It has also been a huge dream of mine to be a mother and I could not be more excited to have found someone who is supportive of my T1D and is willing to go through this struggle with me.

I recently had an appointment with my endo and he was telling me to think of other options to start a family, like adoption. I think adoption is a beautiful thing and of course it is an option for me, however its such a big deal for me to have a child. I went to see my OBGYN and she encouraged me to try to conceive a child! She really helped me to understand that it is something that can be done but it was up to me to make it happen. She explained that I needed to try to bring my A1C as close to 6 as possible to have a healthy pregnancy.

The last time I had my A1C checked it wasn't quite there but I've gotten a CGM to help me better manage it and it is making a huge difference.

I think the thing that is helping me the most is knowing that this is all going to be for my child and once he or she is born the struggle i went through to get them here won't even matter.

Since my fiancé and I have been talking about starting a family I have heard so many success stories of women with T1D and it gives me a lot of hope to know that there are so many women who have been through it. It is definitely a possibility for us and as long as we keep that ultimate goal in our minds we can make it happen! I wish you the best of luck on this journey and I hope to hear some good news in the near future!!!

-Kimberly

T1D since 2003

1 Like

Hi Kimberly! ah, thats so good to meet someone going through the same struggle. Isn't it so strange how some doctors are all for it and some are not? It is very nice to meet someone who is literally going through the same thing I am. This means alot to me!

I feel the same about adoption, it could be in my future no doubt about that but i do want to try for having one that is from me, theres something there. and you never know untill you try!

Well, please keep my update on your journey as well, it's tough and heartbreaking so I've been looking for people, and this website has really helped me out, with success stories and just knowing i'm not alone!

Emily

I been though the same thing as u I just had a miscarriage 3 months ago and my obgym told me I have to keep my a1c under control for 3 months for me to conceive I’m trying get my a1c down but I don’t know how can u tell me any tips to get it down

I’ve had T1 for 47 years. I had severe retinopathy in my early 20s & was told I should never have children. After I got my eyesight under control I spoke to a perinatologist who specialized in diabetes & pregnancy. (Look up CDAPP-California Diabetes and Pregnancy Program and Sweet Success).
He told me there should be no reason why I couldn’t have a healthy pregnancy & healthy baby. So, I ended up two!

I got my BGs well controlled before conception and had pretty easy pregnancies. Both of my children were born without complications and are living healthy lives. I did not have any problems conceiving, either. Fertile Myrtle I am :slight_smile:

I wish I had paid more attention to Dr. Bernstein’s writings. For the last month I have been following a very low carb, mod protein and high fat diet and my BGs are always less than 120, unless I eat a large portion of protein. I wear a pump and a Dexcom.

Oh, BTW I’m also an RN and a Certified Diabetes Educator & try to practice what I preach.
Google Dr. Bernstein & Diabetes University. Also, I found the TED Talk by Dr. Sarah Hallberg very interesting & helpful for me.

1 Like