Type 1 and Parkinson's

Does anybody here also have Parkinson’s? I think I may have it. I’ve found links to Parkinson’s and type 2, but not type 1.

hello @smelmosleh and welcome to Type One Nation. I am not a doctor so it may come as no surprise that I have never heard of a “causal” link between Type 1 diabetes (an autoimmune disease) and Parkinson’s Disease. I hope you have access to a great medical team and are getting all the support you need. I hope you find help there are many years experience here in dealing with Diabetes.

Hi Joe,

Thanks for answering my question. I plan on talking to my doctor about it next month. It does also run in my family, so if I do have it that’s probably why. I was just curious about any possible link because of the one to type 2.

I have a lot of experience with type 1 myself: I’ve had it for 48 years. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@smelmosleh Hi Sheila and welcome to the JDRF TypeOneNation Forum! It is good to see another Member here with long-time experience living with diabetes; I hope that you stay active and share any tips for success with those looking for some thoughts ablot successfully managing their diabetes.

I too have never heard of any link between autoimmune diabetes and Parkinson’s. Keep in mind, that the various strains of type two are not closely related to T1D other than a common symptom or two and the “cause” is quite different.