TV Shows and Diabetes

We ran an article today on Diabetes News Hound about diabetes appearing more on primetime television recently. Check it out here: Diabetes Boosting Its Primetime Presence

Do you know of any other recent episodes / characters on the topic of Type 1 or 2?

OTHER RECENT HEADLINES FROM DIABETES NEWS HOUND

Researchers Develop Way to Improve Insulin Performance

4-Year Old Saves Diabetic Mom’s Life

Original Supermodel Helps Raise $20,000 For Diabetes  

gotta love how all the tv shows with diabetics in them...show them having some horror, extreme sickness (I have been diabetic for 16yrs and NEVER had a seizure or DKA..)

Being DKA is a reality for some. My daughter was when she was DX'ed it was a horror and she was extremely sick. Hey the sicker people are the more I am sure the shows use it to bump their ratings but for some like a 9 yo girl seeing stuff like that makes them not feel so alone because they can relate to it.

I had DKA a couple years ago and I had mono so I went into shock and had to go to the ER. But I pretty much wasn't taking any insulin at all and I was always drinking regular soda. Soooo bad. Now I cringe at the thought. I don't know what I was thinking! I was still a teen and only had diabetes for a year so I think it was some sort of denial/rebellion. Anyway... I like that there's been so much on tv about diabetes. It'd be nice if there was more about type 1 tho.

[quote user="Jessica "]

Being DKA is a reality for some. My daughter was when she was DX'ed it was a horror and she was extremely sick. Hey the sicker people are the more I am sure the shows use it to bump their ratings but for some like a 9 yo girl seeing stuff like that makes them not feel so alone because they can relate to it.

[/quote]

i know DKA is a reality for some..it just seems like -every- show that has diabetes in it, seems to only focus on them when they are sick. i know we need a cure, etc..but sometimes it would be NICE to have some diabetics not look like they are on death's door 24/7. i don't appreciate people thinking i'm always in the hospital, because they keep seeing diabetics on tv shows going into DKA and such. it would be nice if once in a while they DIDN'T do that..

I saw a Law And Order: SVU episode that featured a little girl with T1. It had nothing to do with DKA or complications, just a girl who happened to have T1. I thought it was a very realistic portrayal. I think the same series once featured an adult male with T1 and that episode was also done accurately.

[quote user="Batts"]

[quote user="Jessica "]

[/quote]

i know DKA is a reality for some..it just seems like -every- show that has diabetes in it, seems to only focus on them when they are sick. i know we need a cure, etc..but sometimes it would be NICE to have some diabetics not look like they are on death's door 24/7. i don't appreciate people thinking i'm always in the hospital, because they keep seeing diabetics on tv shows going into DKA and such. it would be nice if once in a while they DIDN'T do that..

[/quote]

Oh I see what you are saying now lol. Some days my brain functions better than others. I agree with you it would be nice to see that. I think they had a episode on Hanna Montana where the kids wasnt sick but he was hiding that he was diabetic. I didnt watch it just caught part of it while testing Rileys blood sugars one night.

Did anyone see the Oprah a few months ago (Feb.?) with that Dr. Oz douche warning people about diabetes- the silent killer? It was SO horribly incorrect in that it did not distinguish Type 1 from Type 2 and that guy talked a lot about type 2, then when asked a question about type 1 he actually said "With Type 1 you're basically stuck with it. There isn't anything you can do." Now millions more people think people with Type 1 somehow "caused" their diabetes.

[quote user="Mollyanne"]

Did anyone see the Oprah a few months ago (Feb.?) with that Dr. Oz douche warning people about diabetes- the silent killer? It was SO horribly incorrect in that it did not distinguish Type 1 from Type 2 and that guy talked a lot about type 2, then when asked a question about type 1 he actually said "With Type 1 you're basically stuck with it. There isn't anything you can do." Now millions more people think people with Type 1 somehow "caused" their diabetes.

[/quote]

No but I just saw him on CBS doing the same thing and wanted to slap him and CBS silly for it.

Did you ever see that show starring Geena Davis called "Commander in Chief"?  In that show, her main political enemy is played by Donald Sutherland, and he has a wife you meet a few times, and one time he comes home and she's sleeping on the couch and he wakes her and she seems kind of out of it and he's like, "Are you low?" and he checks her continuous glucometer (first time I'd ever heard of such a thing existing) and gives her some juice.  They don't SAY it is T1, but it seems pretty T1 to me, wouldn't you agree?