Trends

I am not new to this ---- but have been noticing lately that there seem to be trends — a few days high, few days low. Can’t say that the variables are steady… are they ever?!
Would like to know if anyone else has noticed such a thing?

Hi @mkurkov all I can say is that i usually need to play with my basal rates on the spring and fall. Other than that my blood sugar versus time charts look “like an explosion in a spaghetti factory” with no obvious trends. I really like “modal” analysis for example my just before lunch numbers, by just looking at the same period every day I think it tells you more than the rollercoaster all day graphs. Anyway, I know: not helpful. Good luck. :four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

Hi Marina @mkurkov , the really “good” that I see is that you are observant and notice patterns. That is something that you and I have in common.

What I do, is to “pick” the time of day where my glycose level is furthest from from what I think is my ideal range and try correcting that - I usually aim only for one period to correct at a time. Very often, my adjustment is Basal rates [I use a pump] both for a few hours before and after the point my glucose rises too high. If my BGL is way too low following a meal and stays low. my first choice for correction would be an insulin:carb ratio check.

1 Like

Same thing here. I don’t have variation on the order of brittle diabetes (fortunately). I do MDI, so no pump. My Lantus has been at 10/day (one injection in the morning) for several months now, and that seems to be working. However, there are days where I eat pretty much the same thing as another day, so I do what worked (or correct what didn’t work) for that day, and I may get the opposite reaction (too high instead of too low or just right, or vice versa). I seem to have several days in a row every 3 or 4 weeks where I trend low and have to keep eating carbs, even though I’m using the same carb ratio/doing the same things I did before. Then I’ll go a few days trending high. ??? I guess it’s just what happens w/ the complex system that is our body and its hormones, at least from my experience.

2 Likes

Becky @BKN480 , I have a broad smile as I read how your body glucose doesn’t “behave” the same on two consecutive days when you eat and move-about in similar fashion. The positive message this says, is you are human - not a machine or robot.

There is a very good chart published by diaTribe Foundation that lists how 42 different “activities” affect our blood and body glucose level. Sometimes push it up, while at other times the same item may lower BGL.

1 Like

I have experienced very stable days/weeks/months and also very unstable ones. There are no easy answers to the adjustments we need to compensate for our daily lives. The exercise issue is a little easier to understand. Our bodies are different so one persons exercise will effect them differently than another persons but when you understand your activity level verses your insulin intake it is pretty simple to be able to compensate for activities. Things like emotions and or illness is the real wild card. For me when getting sick my body dumps sugars into my blood while fighting whatever is attacking me. So I can NOT keep sugar levels down while sick. I have to adjust for a lot more insulin during those times. I don’t drink beer anymore because it is a skyrocket for my sugar levels. On the flip side vodka actually makes my sugar levels drop. So the easy answer is not easy. We can plan for most of our daily level needs like food intake and exercise but we also have to just buckle down and pay more attention when emotional situations or sickness occur.