Treating a low blood sugar

Hi, my son Logan is 12, he was diagnosed with T1D at 6. When he drops low, I will give him a juice, 15 carbs. Today he was 67 then after the juice went to 98. He said he still feels low and wanted another juice. This happens a lot. I’m afraid he’ll then go too high. When I rechecked him a little while later, he was 207. He says he still feels low when he’s in the 90’s and low 100’s and he just wants to feel better! Does anyone else have this happen to them? thanks!

Sure Castiiel, that is a very common feeling. And that is what some doctors will call “rebound”.
You are doing the proper treatment for a “low” by giving a measured 15 grams of fast acting carbs and then retesting about 15 minutes later. What we called the 15/15 treatment many, many years ago. I too will have that continuing low feeling after treating a low and force myself, sometimes successfully, to hold off on retreating.

His feeling low when he is still in the 90’s, is possibly due to the fact that his BG level is falling fast - in my later years [now in my 59th T1D year], I will feel low when I’m still 90 whereas years ago I wouldn’t have those sensations until I dropped to 50.

Keep up your good work!

Thanks a lot Dennis, this has been helpful! :slight_smile:

I also know that when my son has a significant low, even after he’s brought his sugar up to the target range he still feels pretty lousy for at least a few hours. He usually says he has a headache and feels weak. I’m sure a low takes a lot out of you and the overall recovery may take a while even if the numbers look good.

Thanks Hilarie, my son says he feels bad for a while too, it’s funny he feels OK when he’s high, every now and again he says his head or stomach hurts, but for the most part, highs don’t bother him.