Tooth implants

How does diabetes affect tooth implants. Any information would be welcome — such as how many teeth were implanted— did it take a long time to heal—did your dentist advise you to do it, or not do it… are you happy with the result…
Thank you!
Marina

1 Like

@mkurkov ,

I have NOT had dental implants. I recently saw a post on another platform where a person reported they had laboratory verified titanium allergy. I was curious about the statement. If you have issues wearing jewelry or other metal contacting your skin, proceed with caution.

@mkurkov , like @987jaj I have not had implants either but wanted to share - someone I used to know needed joint replacement but had to suffer get pain as she was allergic to the metals used in them at the time. I would hope testing for allergies is a part of the process for dental implants but I would look into it beforehand. All the best to you!

1 Like

Hi @mkurkov Marina.
I have several implants, the oldest about 10 years old, and currently in the process of getting 3 more. In my experience, they are great. T1D can cause two issues that impact implants, healing/infection and loss of jaw bone mass. A good periodontist will use x-rays to evaluate your bone mass in the implant area. They will also discuss your history related to healing and infections. If the two of you determine you are a good candidate, they will put you on a short term antibiotic and start the process: tooth extraction, if necessary; bone implant, if necessary; healing time 4-6 months: implant insertion; implant recheck. After the periodontist is satisfied, then your general dentist will fit a crown.

Hope this helps.

@mkurkov I had a similar experience except I don’t remember about the antibiotics. There were zero issues related to diabetes. It was pretty uneventful but a LONG process and mine traps food. I really hate that but it does allow me to eat normally again. I would do it again if required. Also, it was pretty expensive. Hope this helps.

1 Like

I am a dentist that has been practicing for over 32 years. Getting a dental implant should not be a problem as long as your diabetes is well controlled. And titanium allergies are very rare.

1 Like

I am in process of getting one and my dentist was very involved in asking about my medical history as well as my last 3 A1c results. I am currently waiting on the bone implant to heal before attachment of the crown. I have about 3 weeks left… The pulling of the tooth was by far the worst part for me. The second worst part was the cost.

1 Like

So far I still have all my teeth but I do wonder about dental implants if I should ever lose one/some. I frequently see ads about same day implants where people have all their teeth removed and leave some hours later with a “perfect smile” - that seems like a lot on a body, diabetic or not.
Reading the comments I see I there’s healing time for the bone before the implants can even be placed, and I have crowns on some teeth that took time to produce. Could you share some light on how same day implants are even possible?
I beg forgiveness from the moderators of I’m straying off topic…
Thank you!

I wouldn’t recommend going to one of those places that advertise teeth in a day. What they do is highly invasive and sometimes less than ideal. What is usually done is they extract all of your remaining teeth. Then because there are all of the holes from the tooth roots, they grind down your remaining bone to make it flat. Then they place 4-6 implants in strategic places and then screw down the teeth, which are usually dentures in place. This usually ends up costing upwards of $50k per jaw.

Saving your natural teeth is always your best option. And if you ever lose a tooth, replacing it with a single implant is a great option. Unfortunately, many people don’t value their teeth and fail to take care of them, and are desperate for a quick fix. Teeth in a day are a quick fix. As long as you brush and floss daily and see your dental hygienist at least twice a year for regular check-ups and dental cleanings, you shouldn’t have to worry about needing such invasive treatment. Remember 100% of all dental disease is preventable.

I hope this helps.

Thank you very much.

Thank you, everyone for well thought out responses. Best advice to be had is here!

I may have to start another question, but it seems related to what we have been discussing here. It is related to me —a root canal issue: whether I should have a root canal procedure, or an extraction. And perhaps an implant. A bridge may or may not be possible. Everything is on hold right now, because elective dental work needs to be done after covid is over.

I’ve had several root canals, and crowns placed over each tooth afterwards. I really did not want to have any extractions and thankfully had an excellent dentist who did the work. It’s been a while but I believe they gave me an antibiotic to take before the procedure - that’s something you’ll discuss with them. I think they have me an rx for pain but I’ve never liked those and OTC meds worked fine for me afterwards.
PS - maybe I should leave this to our dental expert but your diabetes might be cause for the procedure since a dying tooth could affect your numbers. I didn’t need to have anything like that done during COVID so I could be mistaken but see if there is medical cause that would allow you to get it.

1 Like

I am with all who said your natural teeth ate your best bet. I am constantly brushing my teeth after I eat but unfortunately I got ahold of a piece of bone in some ground beef that cracked my left rear most molar all the way through when I bit down on it. Unfortunately I went into DKA before my initial diagnosis and my teeth have never been the same since then… I felt like the single implant was my best option for continuing to care for my mouth. I went back in for my impressions yesterday and the dentist said all was healing up wonderfully. I was given an antibiotic rinse to use after extraction and after the initial implant into the bone. So if you decide that an implant is right for you you might inquire about a similar rinse.