Toddler Potty Time!

Ok seriously,  how do you do it?  The only time he wants to go is before or after his bath.  I have tried the praising, the bribing, giving prizes, aiming for the Cheerio...I get that he will need to go more because of the T1D.  We tried getting him to go every 15 minutes to see if it would I guess trigger things.  Few hours of that got annoying.  I wanted to try just putting him in under wear and discovering that wet undies don't feel good.  But we live with my mom and there's only carpet in our house.   Ugh,  sometimes I think if my dad were still on this earth that he'd have him trained already.  Lol. I just don't know anymore.  Oh and I know nighttime won't be an easy task either.  But those night pull ups aren't quite as wet as they have been. If anyone has any bright ideas please share them!   Thanks!!!

When my (non-diabetic) son was little we bought potty training books, videos, a potty chair that sang and even got a doll that peed and had a potty training party.  I offered to buy my son great toys or take him out for pizza.  None of it worked.  

He also didn't respond to peer pressure (kids younger than him at daycare were trained) or to being grossed out by having wet pants.  

Your son also has to be ready to make the change.  My son was almost 4 when he finally did, but because he was older it took less than a day.  I told him that today was the day and we threw away the diaper changing pad and switched to underwear.  He had one accident and has been dry ever since.  

I was frustrated that he was so old, but have since learned that it's not statistically unusual.  Before a child can be "trained" they have to be physiologically ready.  That means their bodies release anitdiuretic hormone and they also wake up when their bladders are full.  This article has great info that helped me put it into perspecitve.  

en.wikipedia.org/.../Nocturnal_enuresis

What worked for us was keeping it simple.  If you can tell when your child is going to the bathroom then hustle him onto the toilet.  If you can't tell, then try setting him on the toilet occasionally through the day and make a big deal when he goes.  Don't bribe.  Don't scold.

Some kids are more compliant than others and have to use the bathroom more often.  That's great, but others are strong willed and have bladders of steel like my son who only uses the bathroom about 3 times a day (this is great on car trips... we never have to stop).  

I've also learned that some parents kind of stretch the truth about their child being trained.  I work in our church nursery and a couple of the "potty trained" 3-year-olds have frequent accidents.  Your kid isn't officially potty trained unless you can leave the house without bringing your child a change of clothes.  =)

Since your son has diabetes it may help with potty training because he'll use the bathroom more often.  But he also may struggle with bed wetting for longer than he normally would have. Some parents wake their kids up at 10-11pm to use the bathroom and that helps.  The only other thing you can do is get a plastic sheet and a few extra sets of sheets.  Your child isn't incontinent on purpose.  So just help him deal with it until he's able to be dry through the day and night.

Take care.  -Jenna

I have three kids. They were all different. In my opinion they do this when they are ready. YOu can give positive encouragement etc but too much attention can be reinforcing the diaper too. My most difficult one was the youngest and a girl. She was just lazy about it. We were in the wilderness and took off her clothes. She freaked out when she had to pee and and she was trained in less than a day just by running naked.

She has type 1 now and still has trouble staying dry at night. The disease makes things much more difficult.

If you get distressed over the the child will get distressed. Not good.  

My son, a new 4 year old, has had Type 1 diabetes for 7 months now. (I’ve been T1 for 20 yrs.) He had been fully potty trained for 9 months ( day & night) before his diagnosis. In fact his sudden and frequent accidents were my first clue that he might have diabetes. I thought that once he got started on insulin and his sugars were under control the accidents would stop. He does a great job during the daytime. We don’t worry about accidents. But night is a different story. I washed his bedding every day for 6 months when finally one day I couldn’t take it anymore and bought pull-ups.
Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful!