To the parents with type 1 who also hve children with type 1

I am just wondering how many parents out there have type 1 diabetes who also have children with type 1 diabetes.  I have type1 nd worry about my children all the time.

Have you seen this link on ADA's website about the genetics of D? Maybe it will help to know the actually chances of passing it on, which are pretty low.

When my son was born, my endo told me not to worry about ever testing his BG, esp b/c we are already aware of the symptoms if they arise.

http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/genetics-of-diabetes.html

my husband and son are both type 1. at our son's diagnosis they said it is actually not that common for parent and child to both be type 1, though it does happen sometimes. i agree just to be aware of the signs, which helps to catch it early should it happen. We were able to catch it fairly early- he was peeing a lot but still felt fine and kept telling us so all the way to the hospital...

I have a son and I worry about the same thing. 

My mother is Type 1.  So am I and so is my sister.  My brother isn't.    According to the ADA stats, we all had a 4% change of developing it.

[quote user="zekesmom"]

he was peeing a lot but still felt fine and kept telling us so all the way to the hospital...

[/quote]

lolol!

yeah, we had to wrap him in a blanket to take him there (it was the only time he has travelled in a car without a seat belt). since we couldn't guarentee he wasn't going to get a needle, he was NOT going! (and i kept thinking how on earth will we manage multiple needles everyday?!) Once we had 'kidnapped' him he kept yelling 'i feel fine, it doesn't matter that i have to pee a lot I feel fine.' That is how we started his life with diabetes. lol.