To Carb or Not to Carb

Sending you all my best wishes.
I am 70 Years old but still feel young and energetic even though my A1c is low my endo looked at my dexcom numbers over 3 months and said no significant lows. I use Riley link, Dexcom and Omnipod. Riley link has definitely helped.
Again best wishes

It doesn’t matter my carb intake. My liver loves to give my bloodstream a kick each day. Even on a carb free diet, my blood sugars go up.
So do what’s best for you. Period. I know a lot of people that have had great success managing their blood sugar with keto and it makes sense

Do you eat mainly high carb low fat? (Like fruits and vegetables?

Hi Grace, and welcome to the JDRF TypeOneNation Forum!

What I eat is a general, all inclusive diet other than intensive carbohydrate deserts such as pie and cake. I began life with diabetes in the mid 1950s when living at home and eating dinner with all nine members at the dining table - my mother cooked one meal and we all ate the same foods.

In my latter life, I have cut back significantly on fats, such as breakfast bacon, and red meats. We do eat plenty of vegetables, often three vegetables with each supper, and I almost every day eat at least three fresh fruits - I’ve always enjoyed my veggies and fruit.

during my working-life, I retired when I reached my 70th year, my diet was more varied with eating out and my consumption of fats was higher. My thoughts on eating include “healthy”, “satisfying”, “enjoyable”, and I use insulin to balance out food and activity. I’ve maintained a BMI of 20 throughout the years while eating 200++ grams of carbohydrate each day, and maintain a good glucose TIR.

1 Like

Hi there. I do best on something of a “mid carb” plan, maybe 80-120 a day on average. On more sedentary days, I eat fewer carbs. When I was in my twenties, I ate a little more, probably 100-150 on average. Now that I’m closer to 40 than I am to 30, I eat less overall, and that includes carbs.

I’m a fan of the show where a doctor in Texas does weight loss surgery on people weighing 600+lbs. They must first show their commitment to making lifestyle choices, by following a diet he developed which he describes as “high protein, low [and in some cases no] carb”; and he tells them if they follow the diet they can lose 40-50lbs in a month. That’s the description in a nutshell and I’m sure lots goes on behind the scenes that we don’t see.
I’m not posting to discuss the show or his diet, but I’m curious - my doctor periodically orders labs to test for protein (micro albumin) in my urine, which could indicate a kidney problem. High protein diets may be high in fat and lead to high cholesterol. So for those who go low carb -
:thinking:What’s considered “low carb” over the course of a meal or a day? And
:thinking:Where do you get most of your protein - vegetables? Red meat? Fish/chicken?
I’m curious about the effect of the protein on the kidneys and cholesterol, and how you manage it. Just trying to learn. Thanks!

I eat lower carb.
Typically that means 30g-65g in a 24 hr. period for about 7-8 years now. A typical meal contains 20g or less.
Protein is some combination of meat and cheese. Vegetable protein sources, like lentels, beans and peas, also have what would be a significant amount of carbs for me and I avoid those.
However, I don’t count every single carb I eat. Sometimes I need a small bump due to trending down and I don’t count those.

That is just how I do it. You will find many other opinions though.

@pamcklein Hi, I’m curious what your calorie intake is with the small amounts of carbs you eat.

I would prefer lower carbs but am trying to gain a bit of weight. Until then, I continue to eat 50-70 g carbs (mostly all complex and low GI foods and not much meat except salmon and a filet a few times a month, same with burger) per meal with low activity. Once I gain the weight, I will probably lower my carbs.