Time for an upgrade

I currently have a Minimed insulin pump, but my warranty is up and it’s time to upgrade. Minimed submit a request to my insurance company (United Health Care) for the 530g, but she told me that I probably wouldn’t be approved (not sure why).

My question is if I’m not approved, what do you recommend? The Revel? I’ve never used a CGM, but I want to. I’ve read bad reviews about the Revel’s CGM and it makes me nervous. The nurse at my endocrinologist suggested that I use a Minimed pump with a Dexcom CGM. Does anyone have experience using this?

Thanks for your help!

medtronic pushes “upgrade” the second the warranty runs out. I suggest asking minimed what they are prepared to do for you. they can offer things like “up to $500.00 for the return of your old pump”, etc. if they want you to have a revel or a 530 that bad, ask them to tell you what your “out of pocket” expense would be. it might help your decision.

your endo has to push the cgm by writing a letter of necessity to the insurance company, along with a script. that is what usually gets the ball rolling. the insurance company might protest, refuse, or tell you that they have a “favorite” system which they cover, and others they do not. try to find this part out before you decide which pump.

the revel and the 530 are integrated with the cgm (meaning you get the cgm readings right on the pump screen). in any case you need a cgm sensor that you wear much like your infusion set. the dex uses a dedicated receiver, so you would have this other thing with your cgm readings on it, and your pump. no biggie. it will work almost the same, you just have one more thing on your belt that goes “beep”

the 530 has a different cgm sensor than the revel, and the 530 has an auto suspend, which means if your blood sugar gets below some limit, your pump stops pumping and alarms. I am not a huge fan of any current cgm technology due to inaccuracies, lag time, and the dependence of your “calibration” in the devices functionality. don’t get me wrong, I wore the revel’s sensor and it worked pretty good for what I needed, I just dont’ wear the sensor continuously.

cheers! good luck.

I use the Minimed Revel and occasionally pair it with the Dexcom CGM. My insurance wouldn’t cover Minimed sesors, but would cover Dexcom sensors. Go figure. Initially, I was bummed because using the Dexcom meant carrying around yet another medical device, whereas the Revel performs the job of both the pump and the CGM.

I have been very pleased with the Dexcom, though. It’s easy to use and has been very helpful in understanding blood sugar peaks and valleys.

Your endo may be able to give you a week “trial” using the Dexcom with the Minimed Pump if you ask. Good luck!

The Revel is great I personally think all CGMs suck i went throug their clinical trials. CGMs suck.

I’m confused my revel cannot pair with a CGM. Someone’s got it wrong.

Minimed never told me I could have a CGM with my Revel I just called them at 3 o’clock in the morning I have noticed discriminatory behaviour from them because I had this stroke and speak poorly. Just treat me like I’m retarded and push me in the corner. Thanks allot.

We’ll got that straightend out I can have a cgm. In 2007 I did a clinical at minimed .CA they flew me down to .CA and were going to pay me $3000 grand. Problem is not one sensor worked, I’m too skinny catheter kept bending. I didn’t sleep for 3 days alarm was going off 24/3. They paid me nothing but did fly me home. CGM s suck.

While trying to figure out this site my bg jumped to 536 I cannot stay if that keeps happening.

Hi -
If your insurance denies a CGM, your doctor can write a letter explaining medical necessity though that’s not always a guarantee.

I have been using MiniMed pumps consistently since 2000 and have had good experiences with them. The SofSensor CGM is being discontinued (http://www.medtronicdiabetes.com/res/img/pdfs/Discontinuation-of-Sof-sensor-Glucose-Sensor-Adult.pdf)

I’ve been using the 530G with Enlite for over a year and have had good experiences with it. Not all systems work for all people, and I think it’s great that there are options these days! When I first went on a pump in 2000 there were 2 choices. I’ve stayed with MiniMed over the years due to great customer service, and innovations like integrated insulin pump & CGM, and Threshold Suspend.

I did go for CGM in person training with my local MiniMed team for the Enlite sensor even though I previously used the SofSensor. I found it really helpful to have them watch what I was doing and provide tips and tricks along the way. I think that’s part of the reason I’ve had continued success with their system.

I used a dexcom with a medtronic pump, and not having all of the info in one program was just not that easy. I switched back to the CGM enlite. Insurance approved all with my doctor writing a letter, ordering the RX etc.

I think personally an integrated system is just best. If I was to switch back to a dexcome I would try to change my pump to the animas so that it was integrated.