Minimed CGM or Dexcom 7 - Still Undecided

Hello all,

I am new to posting, but not new the the site.  I have been a Type 1 diabetic for over 12 years (I am currently 25).  I was recently married and my new wife is very insistent on trying a CGM to prevent nighttime lows.  I do not blame her - I've had a handful middle-of-the-night experiences in the past and never wish that experience on anyone - even those on my enemy's list.  

The problem is I am due for a new pump and am currently debating the options.  I currently have a Minimed 715, so I feel most comfortable with their technology.  However, I've read nothing favorable to their CGM.  While having everything in once device is appealing, the reports in inaccuracies, pain and blood, bulkiness, and the need for adhesive tape are very unappealing.  I can get a new Minimed Revel for about $700, after insurance pays their part.

I've also read into the Animas One Touch Ping, because I hear they are integrating with the Dexcom 7 Plus in the future.  However, I use too much insulin to accept a smaller reservoir (only 200 units versus 300 in the Minimed).  I can get the Ping for about $500, after insurance.  

NOW, the question is what do I choose?  I think I am set on the Minimed Revel Pump, but keep going back and forth on the CGM unit.  Do I stay with one unit and purchase the Minimed CGM?  Or do I carry a separate unit, the Dexcom 7 Plus?  I've read from numerous blogs that people prefer the Dexcom 7.  

Please, anyone with thoughts on this issue or have experienced the same thing, share your advice!

Specifically, is their anyone who uses (or used in the past) a Minimed Pump but also tracked their glucose with the Dexcom 7?  I do not think I'll mind carrying a separate device if it is accurate.  Buying and using a device that does not accurately report glucose levels (so I've heard the Minimed CGM) is a waste of time, money, energy, emotion, and anything else you can throw at it.  

Thanks!!

I have a one touch ping and dexcom 7+. I wouldn't trade my dexcom in for the world and, while i am eagerly awaiting animas and dexcom's integration, I don't mind carrying two devices. 

I know several people who have minimed pumps, have tried the mnimed CGM and found it uncomfortable and inaccurate, and switched to the dexcom. It's just not worth the trade off with accuracy. 

Good luck making your decision. 

I am using the Minimed 522 pump and the Dexcom 7 as a separate unit. I know several people on another site who like the Minimed CGM, but there are also several who have very little accuracy with it. I belong to a Dexcom Users Group that has over 300 members and i have not seen many negative statements at all. The great majority of the users there love their Dexcoms. I have rather good accuracy with my Dexcom sensors for at least 2 weeks. I have not seen anyone say that about Minimed's sensors. I am on my 17'th day with my current sensor and it is still showing numbers within 2-10 points of my finger stick numbers. I will probably switch to the Animas + Dexcom combo when my Minimed warrantry runs out in June, 2011.

Thank you both for your feedback thus far.  When you say the sensor shows numbers within 2-10 points of your meter, is this instant real-time?  What I mean is, if your sensor shows that you are 50, if you immediately check it on your meter will it be in the same ballpark?  I know the Minimed CGM has a 20 minute (or so) lag, whereas by the time you get the warning your BS may have changed significantly.  A lag of that long seems utterly pointless to me - because when a MIniMed CGM tells me that I am 50, I may be on the floor with convulsions.  

Thanks!

I LOVE my dexcom, although it took about a month for me to adjust to it, so I'd recommend giving a few weeks before giving up. I'm totally addicted to it now. I haven't had any luck with pumps in the past, so I'm on MDI and can't really speak to carrying around 2 different machines. But, if you have a desk job, the dexcom receiver is perfectly accurate sitting on a table nearby, and you can always just leave it for a few minutes to go the bathroom or something. So, it's not like a pump that you don't want to disconnect except for certain circumstances.

[quote user="cvgarber"]

Thank you both for your feedback thus far.  When you say the sensor shows numbers within 2-10 points of your meter, is this instant real-time?  What I mean is, if your sensor shows that you are 50, if you immediately check it on your meter will it be in the same ballpark?  I know the Minimed CGM has a 20 minute (or so) lag, whereas by the time you get the warning your BS may have changed significantly.  A lag of that long seems utterly pointless to me - because when a MIniMed CGM tells me that I am 50, I may be on the floor with convulsions.  

Thanks!

[/quote]

The dexcom updates every 5 minutes, so it's usually very close to my meter unless I'm quickly rising or falling. But, the arrows on the dexcom will tell me how fast I'm going up and down, so I can see why there's a difference...

Having used both the minimed and dexcom, I would highly recommend the dexcom. Just this past week I was actually working on a research study with the medtronic CGM and found there was a significant lag time between the sensor reading and meter reading. I do not find this lag nearly as intense with the dexcom, and the dexcom is usually very accurate (i.e. within 20 mg/dl), compared to up to 80 mg/dl off with the medtronic. I also find the dexcom to be much more accurate during lows, which seems to be a feature your interested in. Hands down, I'd go with dexcom. Hope this helps

Dylan  

Thank you!!  I think it's settled.  I fairly confident I will go with the Minimed Revel (723) Pump and the Dexcom 7 Plus.  Carrying two machines is virtually the only drawback I can see, but I remember thinking how carrying 1 machine was going to be a problem (when I first got the pump) and how quickly I got over that.  Accuracy and reliability are key.  I am a teacher and I currently keep my Minimed in my pocket (due to breaking my belt clip years ago).  I figure I will still keep the pump in my pocket and clip the Dexcom to my belt. 

The only reason I am sticking with the Minimed Pump verus an Animas is the size of reservoir.  I would like the future functionality of the Animas and Dexcom, but the reservoir issue is big for me.  I use quite a bit of insulin and a cartridge less than 200 units after primed just will not work.  Here's to Animas -->  ALLOW A LARGER RESERVOIR!  

I'm facing the same situation - my warranty is almost up on my Minimed and I was considering either the Revel or the Ping/Dexcom 7 Plus system. I love Medtronic (minus the goofy quirks with the sensor), but I'm really considering making the switch.

Those of you using the Ping or Seven Plus, what is it that you don't like about it? I've heard all the good stuff, but I'd like to know the frustrating parts.

Can't speak from personal experience yet, but the fact that Dexcom 7 sensor is designed to be changed out every 7 days instead of every 3 like other CGMs was the primary reason I chose it.  (Of course, it's also nice that they're getting it integrated with the Ping, which is the pump I chose.)

the only reason I stayed with MiniMed for my pump (it comes Tuesday) is because it can hold 300 units, versus 200 units in the Animas.  This smaller storage is just not an option for me, maybe it will be for you.  If animas held at least 300, I would have switched in a heartbeat.   Plus, I have about 300 dollars worth of supplies that I do not want to replace.

i have also chosen to do the dexcom 7 instead of the minimed cgm based on reading countless reviews and personal stories.  it seems the dexcom is more comfortable, does not need extra "tape", is virtually painless, and (most importantly) is more consistent with blood sugars and relays the level with a 5 minute delay (vs. 20 minutes with Minimed).  When it comes to blood sugars, what good is a device that is not accurate?  That alone makes it worthless.  The only downside that I have come to terms with is carrying two devices.  I figured it won't be that bad.  I'm sure MiniMed's CGM will improve is comfortability and reliability, so once that happens I will switch once I am eligible for a new device after 1 year. 

I just got on the Minimed 523 pump with the CGM.  I believe that they have improved the CGM over their previous model.  I can't compare with Dexcom, but I have been on it for about three weeks now and the CGM seems to me to be fairly accurate.  I would recommend it after three weeks of use.  It has really helped me with lows!  I used to drop below 50 without noticing and now the darn pump makes such a ruccess when my glucose is dropping that I have not been able to drop below 50 since I got on the CGM, and to that I say hallelujah!  I was very interested in the Dexcom before my old insulin pump broke and I decided to get the Minimed Revel after I had been approved by my insurance company for the Dexcom.  I am glad I switched because until they get the combined system, I believe the Minimed is a lot easier.  (The only difference between the 523 and the 723 is the amount of insulin they hold)

That's my opinion.  

Addition to my previous.  The Minimed now does 5 minute updates too.  You do still need to use the tape though.  But to me that hasn't been a problem.   What the rep told me is that the Minimed CGM does is accumulate info about every minute and then send it to the pump every 5 minutes.  I am sure Dexcom caused Minimed to improve their system.

I keep adding more.  Hope I'm not too booring...  The 20 minute delay is actually unavoidable as the interstitial fluid lags about 20 minutes behind what the blood in your fingers shows!

We are in the process of deciding on pump/CGM combos too. I have come to the conclusion to go with the Ping/Dexcom combo. If I were to get the medtronic I would be stuck with their product for 4 yrs. If I go with the Ping/Dexcom then I have the ability to upgrade($299) to the new model that should be coming out in 2011 that has everything integrated. I figure in the next 4 yrs the better/newer technology will come from Animas/Dexcom not Medtronic and I really want to have access to it when its here.

[quote user="Dan"]

The 20 minute delay is actually unavoidable as the interstitial fluid lags about 20 minutes behind what the blood in your fingers shows!

[/quote]

Not always....  this is me from this morning.  :)

Yes, I read today it could lag as close as 5 minutes.  But you are stable at 89 so that's why they line up.  Good numbers, by the way!

Thanks!  I've seen good accuracy mid-drop and mid-rise as well, though.  Maybe it's hit-or-miss?

That's the dilemma I am currently facing also - MM Revel v. Dex? And if the latter, then is it worth thinking about the Ping? So many options and variables, but really in the end it comes down for me to the same issues stated above. Mainly, the allure of only having to carry one device and linking all that data together, versus the accuracy, feeling of sensor, connection life, durability, and reservoir size. Everyone seems to have so much in the pipeline, and you're really not able to make a prediction as to what happens next. But it appears that Dex has the most support and positive feedback at this point, regardless of whatever else may be coming down the road.  I'm close to making a decision, but will be trial-testing the Revel soon and then will make a final choice. Also may have to blog about this one, too... We'll see.

Dan is right on the mark with the Revel comments and the delay in the interstitial fluid glucose matching the BG measurement.  Some of the artificial pancreas studies and the algorithms are using 17 min.  The new AP software algorithms will be using fuzzy logic to look at how the users BG and interstitial glucose are associated. All three CGMs are the same with the BG and interstitial difference. Each has their own algorithm to determine what to display on the CGM receiver. 

BTW...I am impressed and happy with the immense improvement is the MM CGM performance in every way. It is like a different product.