Thyroid Problems

I was just wondering if anyone (especially moms) have had any thyroid problems.

When I was pregnant my endo told me that my chances were high, since I was a Type 1, of developing a thyroid problem after giving birth.  Well I ended up, not only having a thyroid problem (hypothyroidism), but also getting papillary thyroid cancer, and subsequently having my thyroid gland removed.

Has anyone else had thyroid problems?

I'm now on 175 mcg of synthroid each day.

Would love to hear from others about this!

I know my endo has always kept a close eye on my thyroid as well, but I didn't know why, so I did a little research and this is what I could find:

"Diabetic patients have a higher prevalence of thyroid disorders compared with the normal population (Table 1). Because patients with one organ-specific autoimmune disease are at risk of developing other autoimmune disorders, and thyroid disorders are more common in females, it is not surprising that up to 30% of female type 1 diabetic patients have thyroid disease. The rate of postpartum thyroiditis in diabetic patients is three times that in normal women. A number of reports have also indicated a higher than normal prevalence of thyroid disorders in type 2 diabetic patients, with hypothyroidism being the most common disorder."

that's a direct quote from: http://journal.diabetes.org/clinicaldiabetes/v18n12000/Pg38.htm

also check out this link

http://www.thyroidtoday.com/PatientResources/english/Thyroid%20Hormone_E09.pdf

it's pretty clear that we're basically out of luck :-(

If you google "diabetes thyroid"  there are a LOT of resources.

I'm not having thyroid problems (yet), but I haven't had any kids yet.

Hope this helps!  And I'm sorry that you're having to deal with both these thyroid problems in addition to diabetes. 

Do you take your synthroid in the morning?  I know you're supposed to take it roughly 1/2-1hour before breakfast and I was wondering if that has ever been a problem with a low BG in the morning?

Wow Kristen,  I'm sorry to hear that.  I hope you're doing well now that you've had your thyroid removed.  I also have hypothyroidism but it pre-dates my Type 1.  Got hypo when I was 18 but didn't get T1 till I was 19.  My doctor thinks if they had tested my HA1C when I was diagnosed my hypothyroidism, they might have determined I was going to get diabetes.

I am not 150mcg, which my doctor says is a high dosage for my size.  But it's the dosage I need, so I don't mind taking it to avoid the symptoms of an underactive thyroid. 

Funny you should ask about taking the meds in the a.m., because YES, it's a problem!  

What I end up doing is taking the synthroid and then waiting the full 1/2 hr to eat something.  So far it hasn't caused any huge problems because when I typically wake up with a low BG in the a.m. it usually is stable (if that makes sense).  Meaning....if I wake up and it's 60 (or whatever), then it usually stays at 60 until I eat something.  No sudden drops since I'm just working with my basal at that time of the day.

Just one more thing that a poor little ol' diabetic has to deal with !  :o)

And thanks for all the great links!

Actually I have noticed a lot of people on here who have thyroid problems. I have hypothyroidism as well, which I was also diagnosed with before my diabetes. I take my synthroid at night before I go to bed and never have a problem.

Wow I didnt realize so many T1's had pre-existing hypothyroid problems.

I have been hypothy. since about 6yrs old, and didnt become T1 till the age of 29...

Hey Kristen-

I had Thyroid problems a couple years into having Type 1 Diabetes. I've had diabetes 14years now (since I was 15) and started taking medication for Thyroid a few years after being diagnosed.

I currently take Levoxyl.  Its interesting how everyone's taking Synthroid and I'm on a totally different medication.  I have had to increased my dosage recently.

-Lisa

Put me down for Synthroid.  I've been taking it for probably almost 20 years.

I take mine usually a little while after breakfast.  I take a whole fistfull of pills and if I take them all on an empty stomach, it makes my stomach feel funny.  So I take them after I eat.

I have had Hypothyriodism since 1 year post t1 diagnosis. I take 137mcg of Levothyroxine  and I always take it with breakfast I have never waited to eat after taking it. it has never been a problem as far as that goes.

did anyone else lose alot of hair before being diagnosed with hypo? I was pulling hair out in clumps.

Hi Kristen,

Well I to have hypo thryoid problems and I've had them ever since I was diagnosed. They both pretty much came on at the same time, so it's been 12 yrs and I'm taking 0.112 mg daily of Synthroid.

I haven't had any childern and I'm at the same stage you were I just found out 2 months ago that I to have papillary thyroid cancer and am having my thryoid removed.

And just to answer someone's else question or concern that they were on a different med. called Levothyroxine which is actually the brand name of synthroid. If you look on your bottle at the bottom it should have both names listed followed by your dosage.

CJ

Julia: I believe that hair loss is one of the symptoms of hypo.

and,

CJ1230: If you have any questions about the surgery and follow up stuff, feel free to shoot me an email!  I had to do radioactive iodine after the surgery...it's a pain, but not 'painful in any way.'  And I was actually up and around pretty quickly after the surgery.

DDrumminMan,

I read your post:

[quote user="DDrumminMan"]

I take mine usually a little while after breakfast.  I take a whole fistfull of pills and if I take them all on an empty stomach, it makes my stomach feel funny.  So I take them after I eat.

[/quote]

I don't know what other medications you take, and I'm sure since it's a fistfull some of them probably need to be taken with food, however, the synthroid should be taken on an empty stomach for proper absorption.  Also, there are a LOT of medications that should not be taken at the same time as synthroid.  I know you know this, but make sure all your doctors know all the medications you are taking.

"How should you take Synthroid?

Take Synthroid as a single dose, preferably on an empty stomach, one-half to one hour before breakfast. The drug is absorbed better on an empty stomach.

Levoxyl tablets may swell quickly, resulting in choking or gagging. Be sure to take the pills with an entire glass of water to avoid this problem."

also:

How to use Synthroid Oral

Take this medication by mouth usually once a day on an empty stomach, 1/2 to 1 hour before breakfast, or as directed by your doctor. To prevent difficulty swallowing the tablet, take it with a full glass of water unless otherwise directed by your doctor.

from: http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-7033-Synthroid+Oral.aspx?drugid=7033&drugname=Synthroid+Oral

Just want you to have all the facts!

[quote user="since030993"]

DDrumminMan,

I read your post:

[quote user="DDrumminMan"]

[/quote]

I don't know what other medications you take, and I'm sure since it's a fistfull some of them probably need to be taken with food, however, the synthroid should be taken on an empty stomach for proper absorption.  Also, there are a LOT of medications that should not be taken at the same time as synthroid.  I know you know this, but make sure all your doctors know all the medications you are taking.

"How should you take Synthroid?

Take Synthroid as a single dose, preferably on an empty stomach, one-half to one hour before breakfast. The drug is absorbed better on an empty stomach.

Levoxyl tablets may swell quickly, resulting in choking or gagging. Be sure to take the pills with an entire glass of water to avoid this problem."

also:

How to use Synthroid Oral

Take this medication by mouth usually once a day on an empty stomach, 1/2 to 1 hour before breakfast, or as directed by your doctor. To prevent difficulty swallowing the tablet, take it with a full glass of water unless otherwise directed by your doctor.

from: http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-7033-Synthroid+Oral.aspx?drugid=7033&drugname=Synthroid+Oral

Just want you to have all the facts!

[/quote]

Thanks for the info.  I'll look into it for sure.

Hi Kristen, I'm not exactly sure if I have a diagnosed thyroid problem or not but on 6/15 I am having a mini surgery thing to remove a piece of a nodule on my thyroid. my doctor said that it is small and its not something to be really concerned about, he just wants to make sure. so I really have no idea what this means, but I do know that both my mother and grandmother have either hypo or hyper thyroidism. I guess I will find out what is going on when I go in on the 15th!

I am also hypothyroid.  It was diagnosed maybe 11 years after my diabetes diagnosis.  I hadn't been under a doctor's care for those 11 years so it's possible my problem started earlier.  My dose has been going up every few years and I'm now on 112mcg of Levoxyl.

I keep my pills on my bedside table along with a bottle of water.  99.99% of the time I wake up earlier that I need to (or want to) and I automatically just reach over, get the pill and take it.  By the time I actually get out of bed it's been more than an hour and I can eat whenever I want.  If I forget I bring it to work and take it once I get there because it's at least 2 hours since eating breakfast.

Oh, I HATED the hair loss thing. I could have sworn by the end I was going to have a bare spot on my head. Even when I had to increased my dosage, my hair was coming out again and thats when I knew something was wrong. Thats when they changed my dosage.

Sorry for being so ignorant.. but what are the symptoms and causes of this??

I think my aunt was diagnosed with a thyroid related problem after her second child, she now takes pills for the rest of her life?

Same thing?

Just wondering what happens to your body when you have hypo.

Thanks for the info,

Andrée

Hashimoto's disease is an autoimmune form of hypothyroidism and it's what many Type 1 diabetics have.  Just like the immune system attacking your beta cells, it goes after the thyroid.  There are other forms of hypothyroidism but as far as I know the symptoms are the same.  Fatigue, weight gain/inability to lose weight, hair loss, dry skin, feeling cold are all common symptoms.  You feel really run down in general.

My mother had hyperthyroidism.  That lead to weight loss and other problems.  She had a radioactive iodine treatment which killed off part of her thyroid, but it killed off too much.  She is now hypothyroid, like me, but hers is not autoimmune.  We both take the same strength of medication.

Wow that sounds awful, but it seems you guys are doing pretty well!

I believe my aunt has HYPERthyroidism (spelling) because she is incredibly thin.. but she did have the cold symptoms... I wonder.  She is also very fit though, and has always been very tall and thin.

Thanks for all the info!  I can now say that I am a little less hypothyroidism-ignorant :)

Hello!

I have been a type 1 for for 13 years, and we have always watched my thryroid closely prob 5 years ago or so I started taking Levothyroxine (its the generic). I take 175 mcg and that has been working great! I just recently found out that I'm pregnant, so I know we will be closing watching thyroid levels!!!

Thanks,

Beth