Thoughts on Glucagon Suppression as a "Cure?"

I'd heard something about this before and, just last night, read this little article about glucagon suppression as a possible cure for type 1 diabetes.  It immediately raised two questions for me:

1. Maybe this could keep blood sugar levels normal, but wouldn't a total lack of insulin also mean that our cells can't get the fuel they need?  That's part of why it's so common for type 1s to lose weight before diagnosis, right?

2. Is glucagon always involved in the creation of glucose in the body?  I mean, I just really don't know the answer to this one.  Another article I found about this said they they tested the glucagon suppression in mice using oral glucose tolerance tests, and I was like, "Wow, really? So are our bodies unable to get glucose out of food without glucagon?"  And then, again connected to the first question, "But don't we need some glucose?"

I'm not a veteran PWD (only diagnosed just back in May), so I was thinking some of you might have a better understanding of the issues behind these two questions.

I do love to see people researching different options like this, though!  Even if I'm dead on with my two above doubts, the study could still lead to improving treatment down the line.  I'm all for easier or more effective treatment!