Researchers Cure Type 1 Diabetes in Mice

We had an article this morning on Diabetes News Hound on a potentially big breakthrough in the search for a cure. Researchers have found a way to prevent rogue autoimmune cells from attacking and killing insulin-producing beta cells. If the results can be replicated in humans, it could be a giant step forward. You can check out the article here: Researchers Cure Type 1 Diabetes in Mice

I clicked on this article getting ready to feel annoyed  --  you all know about how I feel about mice studies, lol. Every 2 years since 1985, they seem to "cure" t1 in mice, but they never have an autoimmune component, so it's never relevant to us. But, this is definitely exciting! I wonder how it compares to Dr. Faustman's research. It sounds like a similar idea, but they haven't moved on to human trials and she's trying to raise money for more. I hope lots of researchers get on this bandwagon!

I agree, this sounds very encouraging, and maybe it will help that they said this type of cure might help people with MS or rheumatoid arthritis - more money going in one direction is a good idea in my opinion.

Diabetes is big business.  I wonder if they will ever "really" cure it. 

This was posted about a month ago on an email list I am on. My take is it may help, however the researcher does point out that there are several things they have to overcome. If memory serves me the big one is will there be problems with hypoglycemia especially if this new drug works as well as they say it does. Another was  what sort of long term complications do you have to worry about.

The industry knows a lot about insulin and insulin therapy and I feel this is not a cure. There is no difference between this drug and insulin, it is still something you will still have to inject for the rest of your life. Cure, NO.