This is a Rant (probably)

I’m mad!
Very mad indeed!
Why on earth must we get this disease. Why does our body act so pathetically stupid and attack itself. Why have they not released the cure yet [if they release a vaccine…I will kill someone(that being they can cure people about to get it not ones who already have it]. How can they expect us to eat this horrible food, when “normal” people refuse to eat it. (Sorry in advance)

2 Likes

I got nothing for you @supersam101, other than, I hear you, and once in while I scream and yell too.

hey a stupid question: what horrible food are you talking about? don’t eat anything horrible!

@joe

What I mean is… companies make us these “dilicious” sugar free meals. They expect us to eat it. However the moment you show a non Diabetic the food they won’t eat it. So then how is it fair that we are expected to eat it when “normal” people refuse to?

@supersam101, I would never eat sugar free packaged food for 2 reasons. Most are not sugar free… they are no sugar added with plenty of carbs, the second reason is that like you have described, they stink.

I never have the sugar free syrup or cookie or even sugar substitute. If I want something sweet I eat it and bolus for it. Done. No apologies. You can eat anything a non diabetic eats if you know how to use insulin. Learning how to use insulin can be a trick but it isn’t impossible.

Yes like “sugar free” cookies that have just as many carbs. And the chocolate too. Even the sweets that are completely sugar free, they taste disguisting and leave horrible tastes in your mouth and sometimes even make you feel sick. You can eat the sugar free sweets, but not the way you would eat jelly baby’s. You only have like 3 and then you stop because they make your stomach sore blablablabla… @Joe

Hi Sam.

I feel for you!! Being a diabetic is rough. However, I like to think that we got this disease because we’re the ones who can handle it best. It’s definitely not fair, but think about all the other stuff we could have on our plate. At least diabetes is somewhat manageable.

It might help to focus less on the amount of sugar in packaged foods and focus more on eating low carb, healthy meals. For example, a well-seasoned chicken and veggies can be pretty decent!

Hope you’re doing well, and if you need to talk, I’m here!

2 Likes

@sophiespiegi do try and focus less on the carb content of foods. I also follow a strict low carb meal plan (75 carbs/day). My only problem is that low carb foods (besides vegetables and meats…duh$ don’t taste good, sometimes all I want is a nice hot cross bun or pancake or donut. Etc ,but I can’t have it cause then I sacrifice so much other food for the rest of the day. The one thing which I absolutely wish I could get back if even only this one thing, is normal tasting tea without the bark taste of xylitol or the sand texture at the bottom from canderal and stevia. The fact is… that I want my pastries and breads back not the low carb taste of nuts or bark or bird seed. The real thing. If you know what I mean. But please my life was already hard the way it was. The. This happened and basically threw me into the pit of despair. My marks dropped, faith dropped, not only in god (I’m Christian) but in my country and other fellow human beings. It showed me how inconsiderate they really are.

Hi @supersam101 and @sophiespieg,

I know what you are going through trying to find good healthy food that is palatable and doesn’t have more than a smattering of carbohydrates. I tried doing that 60 years ago when diagnosed with diabetes and after a couple of years just started eating what everyone else in the family was eating - I was one of seven kids and the only one with diabetes. I certainly count carbs as best as I can and take well calculated insulin to cover - in the 1970’s I began managing BGL through mealtime injections and now with a pump.

As for checking BG, it is my belief that if one is to check only 4 times each day, that getting readings ‘after meal’ readings will tell you more about your meal management; I usually check eight times a day.

@Dennis
That is a lot of times a day to test. I personally think that testing and injecting is not worth the pain for the food that you can actually eat afterwards.

Sam @supersam101,
There really isn’t any pain with doing finger sticks and it has assisted me in maintaining an Hb A1c between 5.9 and 6.1 for many years - well until about two years ago when two different endocrinologists who know my case well ordered me to get the A1c up to 6.5 [it is now 6.4].
Years ago I had been diagnosed as “brittle”, confirmed two years ago and that coupled with my growing hypo unawareness necessitates checking regularly - either that or subject myself to continually wearing another device, a CGM.
The CGM I experimented with 15 years ago did not prove effective for me.

I wish I had comforting words, but the truth is, I completely agree. It really sucks sometimes, doesn’t it? There’s no “reason” for why we get it and others don’t. There’s no explanation for why it’s SO DIFFICULT for scientists to find a cure. It just is, and it’s awful. I can’t even count the number of times I’ve felt what you’re feeling.
It’s ok to be mad. In fact, it’s normal. And this is the perfect place to let it all out. We all understand what you’re going through, because we’re dealing with it too.
Things will get better. We just have to believe that. But until they do, let’s just keep supporting each other and sharing our thoughts and hoping for a cure. :slight_smile:
I’m always here if you want to talk. :hearts:

@bookwormnerd13 Sometimes it is rather difficult for me to get up in the morning. Going to sleep I worry that I won’t wake up and worry that when I do I feel gross like always. Then the next step is putting myself through pain for a damn bowl of cereal.

@supersam101 I relate. It just adds a whole extra level of worry and stress… and I get kind of annoyed when my friends complain about not sleeping well or having too much on their minds because I’m dealing with everything they are, plus the added stress of knowing that I might not wake up the next morning. It’s so hard when people don’t understand what we have to go through every day.
I’m getting a CGM soon and I’m hoping that’ll help with the stress. Have you looked into getting one? I know the idea of wearing something doesn’t appeal to everyone (that’s why I didn’t get one earlier) but it might help you too.

@Dennis, that’s good advice. How long after a meal do you typically wait until checking BG?

I prefer not to have one because I don’t like the idea of still having to calibrate. If I still have to test my blood sugar manually then what’s the point. @bookwormnerd13

Yeah I get that. But you have to test a lot less (only twice a day) so I like that better. It’s helpful for field trips, sports, etc plus you don’t have to worry about going low during the night.

Idk. I realize that sounded totally preachy lol, I promise that wasn’t my intention. Your logic is the reason I didn’t get a CGM earlier. Hopefully sometime in the future they’ll figure out how to make a CGM that doesn’t need to be calibrated at all… wouldn’t that be great!

How does it prevent you from going low during the night? I thought we were talking about a meter not the insulin pumps?

@bookwormnerd13 I forgot to tag

I just mean that it alerts you if you’re dropping quickly, so you can catch it before you go low.