This ever happen to ya

I was at my Wal Mart today...cause who doesnt go there!!! lol..and im looking at the diabetes supplies and this woman had the nerve to come up to me and say "Why are you looking at that stuff, you aint fat your too skinny"...that really bugs me!!

OMG that happens to me all the time!!! The other day I was shopping with my step mom and my brother is also T1 and so we buy the same stuff but we always buy like one box of alcohol prep pads for both of us. Well anyway, I faithfully keep glucose tabs with me no matter what! And I was out and the check out lady was like...um sweetie you know you don't need these right? They aren't candy! I was like well to me they are cause I'm diabetic...and she was like no your not! And I'm like uh yeah I'm pretty sure I am! It gets so annoying, everybody thinks that fat and old people get it.

Wow Jeff your Dxd date is 4 days after mine! I was diagnosed on July 4th!!!

Wow, I have never had that happen to me!  I hope it if ever does, I can react as calmly as you guys.  :)

It really is annoying!!!  And thats pretty cool you live with another T1, well not cool but ya know what i mean..lol.  And HIP HIP for july diabetics!!! and all the diabetics too. haha.. but july 4th, thats like one of the best times to pig out on junk!!!

It could be worse; you could have body mass like me (and I am not fat), and have people assume you are type 2, complete with asinine lectures about weight, exercise, and diet. It could be worse.

[quote user="Crochet Nut"]

It could be worse; you could have body mass like me (and I am not fat), and have people assume you are type 2, complete with asinine lectures about weight, exercise, and diet. It could be worse.

[/quote]

agreed. i'm not the smallest girl around, but i'm also not fat. but i've never been skinny...when i was little people used to tell my mom that she fed me too much candy and was a bad mother. a number of people assume type2, but to be fair..most of them don't realize there's anything BUT type2.

Jeff i have that happen to me all the time and it really irratates me but then i just have to think about how most people think of diabetes for people who are obese and just tell then that you dont have to be fat to get it. it is frustrating but you just got to stay calm and think in their shoes.

Yea i have got to agree with Amber...when people think diabetes they think...Obese, Large, Fat

Hey-I know how you guys feel. What is bad for me is that I got Diabetes when I was 6. Now I am 50 and people keep telling me I can't have type 1 that I have type 2. People are just STUPID when it comes to diabetes. That is why I became a nurse. The last time I was in the hospital was because of a knee problem from sking- the dietician and I got in a big fight about my diet. I wear a pump and carb count which she could not get through her thick head. She kept changing my diet, so I called the hospital administration and raised cain. STAND up for yourselves and educate these stupid people-just do not get discouraged.-

[quote user="Jeff"]

I was at my Wal Mart today...cause who doesnt go there!!! lol..and im looking at the diabetes supplies and this woman had the nerve to come up to me and say "Why are you looking at that stuff, you aint fat your too skinny"...that really bugs me!!

[/quote]

If I got a nickel every time I heard that...

We get that all the time with Clay...and he is all of 46 pounds!

The other one we get a lot is "maybe he will grow out of it."  I usually tell them we have been watering and fertilizing him but no luck growing out of it yet.

[quote user="Josh"]

The other one we get a lot is "maybe he will grow out of it."  I usually tell them we have been watering and fertilizing him but no luck growing out of it yet.

[/quote]

oh no!  i stopped growing when i was 13...does that mean i have no chance to grow  out of my diabetes now?   eep!

I just had this boy ask me if I had high or low blood sugar? I said both? That's what diabetes is...

[quote user="since030993"]

[quote user="Josh"]

[/quote]

oh no!  i stopped growing when i was 13...does that mean i have no chance to grow  out of my diabetes now?   eep!

[/quote]

Since-

I guess you are out of luck!  Maybe its a good thing Clay was 5 when he was diagnosed so he has longer to try and outgrow it...LOL

Ha. Grow out of it..never heard that one before but thats funny..how uneducated can some people be before they assume.

[quote user="Jeff"]

Ha. Grow out of it..never heard that one before but thats funny..how uneducated can some people be before they assume.

[/quote]

people ask me that all the time

"oh, will you grow out of it or is it for the rest of your life kinda thing?"

and the

"it's not the serious diabetes though, is it?"

HAHA. is there a non serious case of diabetes that doesnt have to be managd or something???LOL

people tend to think(from my experience) that if you take insulin you have "serious" diabetes because you couldn't control it with diet or excerise(like their aunt does haha) and don't realize there's different types of diabetes.

[quote user="Jeff"]

HAHA. is there a non serious case of diabetes that doesnt have to be managd or something???LOL

[/quote]

Yes.  Some people with diagnosed Type 2 can get by with no medicine and limited exercise.

Oh, and at least you never had someone like my Aunt come along and tell you that diabetes can be cured with a certain Tea and a chiropractic session.

i cant wait to lose all this weight and cure my diabetes... just 100 more pounds and i'll be cured...right?  right?  it's normal for an adult to weigh, like 50 pounds, right?