The random phrases that People say about Diabetes that do not make sense

I was at the doctor (I must qualify NOT the diaetes doctor but a GP fro an ear-ache) and i mentioned that I was struggling a bit with a high that morning and even had some ketones the night before...to which he said (I SWEAR THIS IS TRUE) do you need some juice or something?

If that's not the icing on the cake I don't know what is.

As I kid, I had one friend from school with whom I wasn't allowed to play becuase her mom was sure that her daughter would get diabetes from me.  (Teehee.)

(I have to say, the oddest part about that is, my friend actually _did_ develop juvenile diabetes about three years after we had stopped attending school together. We wound up friends after, too.)

Hey Stephanie,

Yeah, the confusion between T1 and T2 always irritates and frustrates me.  People are always like, "YOU have diabetes? But you exercise!"  And there's almost this attitude of, "It's your own dang fault so you deserve it." I just participated in our office Christmas party, at which I had to keep explaining, "No, I took insulin for this; no, it's okay for me to eat a cookie."  (I even made chex mix because I get sick of answering questions; people don't get that if you're not careful, something "without" sugar has just as many carbs as a cookie.)

But I know where you're coming from!

Yesterday at my bassoon lesson, my teacher, who knows I have diabetes, asked me if the reason my posture was bad was because of "the device that reads my insulin levels".  Don't know where that came from...

[quote user="Katie"]

Yesterday at my bassoon lesson, my teacher, who knows I have diabetes, asked me if the reason my posture was bad was because of "the device that reads my insulin levels".  Don't know where that came from...

[/quote]

Wow. ha ha=)  Very interesting. My guitar teacher told me its good I have my music and I wasn't in to, like soccer or something. Im just like mmmmmmmmhmmmmmmmmm.....

oh ya, anyone else get people who say "insulin level"

My moms friend was talking about my diabetes and she said something about "insulin levels" as she walked in the door. =) My mom and I are walking behind her and started cracking up!

One of my son's favorites are when he is about to eat something and someone nearby asks..."Have you checked your blood pressure?" and another one he loves is "It doesn't make any sense to just eat whatever you want and then take insulin to make up for it. "What happens when they eat what they want??? And he says if he is asked one more time if he has heard about a girl (or boy) who took some kind of medicine and has been insulin free for 5 years now and why hasn't he tried it, he will throttle them on the spot!

When i told my class when i got back from the hospital when being diagnosed, there where a few people who asked tons of questions. Some of them even said things like my grandma has diabetes... I thought I explained the difference to them,do they still not get it!?

One of my favorites:

"No! I might Catch diabetes"

I do laugh...every time. BUT I do explain its impossible to 'catch' diabetes like you catch a cold. I'm not a walking virus, most of the time. And normally we can laugh about it later, when they understand.

I've had people with type 2 ask me if I'm on insulin. Uh..YEAH! People with type one almost always have to take insulin. It seems like the people I know with type 2 are older and are not educated at all! It drives me insane! My grandma's friend has type two and will have about 6 serving of STARCHES at each meal!

I get the "Is that the kind where you take insulin?" or "Is that the kind where you take shots?" from just about every kid at school... it's very annoying.

I also don't like it when people tell me I can't eat things because there is sugar in it.  I try to explain I can eat pretty much whatever I want, as long as I take the insulin for it.  I even had a sixth grade teacher bring cookies for the class, but she saved a special one without icing for me...

my best friends dad who i have known more than half my life always asks if my blood pressure is good. i just stoped correcting him.

I've also had people tell me I couldn't eat something because it has sugar in it. It makes me mad. First of all, they know nothing about diabetes. Second, it's my choice. And third, I can take insulin for it!

That is really scary that an MD said that!!!

hey! I was reading your post and noticed that you have two children with Type 1. I do as well. We were told when my first child was diagnosed that it was next to impossible for siblings to have diabetes. They are both doing well.... anyways, i just saw that and wanted to extend a hand to you.

Dawn,

I had heard it was uncommon , until my daughter was diagnosed.  Then I was told that it is not as uncommon as once thought.  It has been a big adjustment since my kids are so different.  My daughter is 12 and is very organized, while my son at 10, is forgetful and easily distracted.  I have to work with him more closely.

How old are your kids now?

We hear comments from people who are shocked that my 8 year old son with T1 can  "still play baseball", or football.  He recently ran a "fun run"  and after finishing first in the 1 mile race, I heard, "Wow, I didn't know he could still do that." 

yeah, my english teacher was talking to my friend who also has diabetes, because she was going low in her class a lot. she said "you need to stop having low blood sugars in my class", like she was doing it on purpose. when my friend told me, i was really mad, because sometimes, YOU CAN'T!!! no matter how hard you try, because she was having an EXTREMELY big honeymoon thing. 

when i was in high school, i was told by a teacher that i needed to stop having lows. I explained to him that i couldnt and he felt that i was lying since he had type2 and was fine. i gave up

what i get a lot of now is 'are your kids going to have it' and 'if you exercised you wouldnt need insulin'. I get irritated with the questions but the looks i get are worse. most people look at me like i am a dead woman walking

One of my favorites is an oldie, but goodie.

"So, hows your diabetes? How are you?" -Ahole.

"Oh, I'm good." - Me

"Really? Are you taking care of yourself?" -Cut Throat

"Oh no. I got some ointment. It call cleared right up." -:)

I like to make people angry...

<3Sara