Diabetic Pet Peeves

Okay so I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets pretty annoyed when people say conpleatly false and uneducated things about diabetes. Here are my personal *favorites*! (Yes, these are all things people have actually said to me through the years) Tell me yours!

1. Why are you wearing a pager? (Insulin Pump)

2. Wait, you have diabetes? But you're not fat!

3. Your parents should have watched you more. They let you eat too much sugar and now you gave yourself this disease!

4. It's only diabetes!

5. You aren't allowd to complain because you did this to yourself.

6. Wait, you don't take shots anymore because you got a pump? Yay you don't have to take insulin anymore!

7. Oh you're diabetic? That means you have to eat a lot, right?

8. It can't hurt that badly.

9. Wow I wish I had diabetes so I could eat candy in class!

10. You can't eat that! You're diabetic! I know more than you do!

Yeah so there are the top ten most annoying things ignorant people have said about my diabetes.

<3

#9... i HATE. when people do that. andd lwhen they say i use my diabetes to get out of class.. obviously. i'm not that immature.

my friend has litterally told me that she wished that she had diabetes so that she would be FORCED to eat healthy. All i could do was roll my eyes and walt away. I hate it when people act like they know what they are talking about!!

I know, it's like they think I just go sit in the nurse and eat candy all day. Ummmm obviously I actually go to class haha.

I totally agree with you AlexisMarie! I just kind of ignore certain people, because they're too ignorant sometimes to try to reason with.

Omg, i agree with Alice when kids think i get out of class just because i dont wnat to be there. Like i reallyw ant to spend time in the clinic getting my sugars up, cause thats a blast.. NOT!

I know! Lows are the worst. When I say I am tired because I had a low overnight, people are always like, "Well you didn't have to wake up," or "It's your own fault." I'm just like, yes I enjoy the possibility if dying in my sleep from a low.  

OH MY GOSH. SO MANY PEOPLE HAVE SAID THOSE THINGS TO ME!! (except the pump related ones, because i don't have a pump) but yeahhh....... i hate that ! especially the "it's just Diabetes" recently said that to me and i just broke down.....</3 i was just diagnosed a month agoo...

I have alot of lows so I have heard #10, #9, and #4 alot. Sometimes I just don't get why people blurt out things about diabetes 'cause shouldn't they relise that we know more about it then they do?

my friends don't nessasarily say stuff like that but I would defenitly say that I almost scream at people who say "it's your own fault." that one in piticuarlar gets me upset because alot of times I have factors like being sick, growth spurts, or strong emotions that set my blood sugars way off. It also reminds me of a time in my sceince class when we were learning about the digestive syestem. My teacher mentioned to be carefull of eating to many sweets because it can overload your pancreas and give you diabetes. I actually entrupted her and told the whole class that kids almost never get diabetes from eating too many sweets, but rather it has no way to be stopped or caused by human consumption. Haha, sorry if i'm wasting your time but just saying my biggest pet-peeve is when they say it's your fault, when really I cannot say that I ever did anything to cause this.

When you're eating lunch with your friends and one doesn't have food and comments on how hungry they are. Meanwhile you have food left, but you already shot for all of it and then you feel like you're coming off as a ***** for not sharing hahaha

Usually they say that diabetes is the best excuse ever because i go to the nurse so much or that they should take some of my food because i dont need it....ignorance is no excuse for such comment

I get #10 alot! They think just because ur diabetic that u have to eat everything sugar free!

I heard #9 so many times in grade school I can't even tell you.  I also don't like when people pity me because of diabetes..It's nice that they care, but I don't want them to feel so bad for me

oh my gosh this is the best haha, i can relate to alll

I get #4 and #6

here's my 10

1. Why do you put up this stuff on Facebook?

2. How does the pump work it looks complicated?

3. Here let me get that string from your shirt "ouch" that's my pump line for my insulin

4. i know what your going thru (people who i don't see who aren't diabetic)

5. uh-huh uh-huh yep i don't get it so many things to understand

6. that's great and that's amazing so your counting sugars are good (it's carb counting and yes)

7. do you keep in contact with your team (all the time since being diagnosed)

8. hhhhhhh (my little cousins) Tori can i have some candy too (no i need this to treat my lows)

9. how did you get diabetes? Well let's see it started from me going from 175 lbs to 120 something, drinking 9 bags of milk a week, going to the bathroom every hour, fatigued, and at my grandma's testing my blood sugar level twice at 32.2 bg and again and 30 bg on December 4, 2010 @17 11 days before my 18th birthday

10. You look healthy. You can't be diabetic. Is today April Fool's Day hahaha nice trick Victoria. (No trick I am a T1D, I wear a medic alert bracelet everyday, and was on pens and the pump. I am not along. Livin' the Diabetic life.

I hate when people are like, "Oh, is your blood pressure okay?" I hear people all the time saying blood pressure, and really meaning blood sugar. I'm just like.......I can't even answer that idiotic statement or I might punch you in the pancreas.

My personal favorite is when they take food away from you and say " you can't have this your sugar will be to high!" Ummm i can have anything i want i promise i' ll be okay!

Victoria I feel for ya, and i was diagnosed in 2010 as well, but mine was 4 days before the school year started. On a coincidental note my birthday is December 4. My pet peeve is when people see my calorie king nutrition book they ask what its for, like they think I'm on a diet or something.