The Pump Debate

Hi! My name is Ashley and I have had type 1 diabetes for 16 years. I’m currently in nursing school and work as a CNA in a hospital. I have recently started to debate the subject about getting a pump. I’ve been on insulin injections my whole life and I have a CGM. I have good control of my blood sugars, my A1c is usually around 6.2. I’m considering getting the pump because I live a busy life between school and work. I’m trying to keep good control of my numbers while making it easier for me. Any thoughts?

Hi Ashley,
I am also a nursing student/CNA and a T1D since the age of 17. I’m 20 years old now coming up on my junior year of college. My advice to you is that if you have good control of your blood sugars and you’re interested in the pump, try it out! I know most endocrines offer a trial period where you can see if you like it or not. Personally, I chose not to get a pump because of the physical appearance they have. I also really favor my CGM. That has been a God sent for me. My biggest barrier was pricking my fingers and with this it has been almost obsolete. I could manage my diabetes with just my insulin shots and the CGM so I didn’t really see the need for a pump. Keep in mind, which I know you already know, nurses lead very active responsibilities. Depending on what unit you work in, you move around a whole lot. Depending on your active lifestyle, you’ll have to keep updating your pump to fit your needs. That was another headache I didn’t want to have to deal with. If you have a set eating schedule (which is really hard to do, I’ve found) and you’re ready to move onto the next step, I applaud you! I have classmates that have done really well on it. It’s just not an beneficial option for everyone. I hope that kind of helped, lol. Good luck in nursing school!