The “Can you eat that?” question

I get so mad when someone asks “can you eat that?” it. Like I just hate it cause nobody gets that I can eat normal food and not die. And it annoys me more when I have to explain diabetes in depth just so they don’t bother me.

3 Likes

I understand. Our daughter was diagnosed a few months before she turned 5 yrs. I had a co-worker ask me if it was because we fed her too much sugar. I wanted to just say YES, she is 5 and all we feed her is sugar! LOL

1 Like

I agree with you and then when yoiu explain diabetes and using a pump to them they are lost about 1/4 of the way through the explanation.

2 Likes

I expect that for the most part people ask this sort of question out of genuine ignorance. Before diagnosis, I had all kinds of crazy ignorant ideas about the disease and would have made thoughtless comments and asked the same sort of questions. Even though it is tiring and repetative, try to understand that that person really doesn’t know anything about type 1 diabetes.

1 Like

+1

It’s both annoying and embarrassing. However it also indicates how much education still needs to be done. When I eat a treat, I feel people looking at me as with as much horror as if I’m smoking when pregnant :smile:

@dobers you are so right

My son was diagnosed a year ago. I’m still trying to figure out his diet however, I’m tired of hearing people say, “you completely changed his diet right?” It always makes me second guess myself.

Kathy you don’t need to change his diet, I’ve had it for 5 years and one thing I learned is you can eat anything you want, just in moderation and with the proper amount of insulin.

2 Likes

Thank you! I think moderation is key and still makes him feel normal :woman_shrugging:t2:

It is, moderation is definitely key and for sure makes me feel normal