Testing in the Classroom

My school is really nice about the diabetes thing. They let me test wherever and whenever I want to!! I don't keep food with me, I only keep glucose tabs, so if I'm low, the teacher has someone walk me to the nurse. I have a 504 Plan at school-which is where my family writes down rules such as 'let her go have access to water if she's high' 'have a place for diabetes supplies on field trips' and 'have access to food in every classroom in case of emergency and she can't get to the nurse'. I'm a suck-up to all my teachers, so they know that I'm not lying about feeling low or high :)

I have a 504 plan, so I can test whenever. I don't like to draw much attention to my testing, though, so I just go to the bathroom to test.

on friday i tested in the classroom before my class started and it was so not a big deal; no one even saw me do it. So now I'm just going to test discretley when I need to. It makes my life 10x easier!

yeahh, i go to a really small private school and there is no nurse or nurses office at my school so my only choice is to test in the classroom! i'm happy about that, though :)

I can test in the classroom iff i want but i like to go to the office. not because im shy about it or anyhting, i just like skipping class. ;) I know, bad diabetic. bad student. heheheh. oh well. though i did vow to make a bit more of an effort this year...cause it actually counts for something!

Though i think it completly stupid for making people only test in office. going low in class is not a great situation i assume?

GUESS WHAT GUYS!!! My mom just talked to the principal and after she discussed with the board it was decided that it would be fine for me to step out it the hallway and test my sugar!!! WE WON!!!

wow thats so dumb! I am aloud to do what ever I want where I live. Why are you not aloud to? I think it is  illegal where I live for them to say I can't

They said it was because of the blood and that they had a district policy...but it was discussed with the board and now i can test in the hallways!

I do test in the classroom, basically because no one has told me not to. I don't have a 504 or anything, but I do tell most of my teachers that I have diabetes. I turned off the sound on my meter, and I can usually test without anyone noticing.

[quote user="Seb"]

I do test in the classroom, basically because no one has told me not to. I don't have a 504 or anything, but I do tell most of my teachers that I have diabetes. I turned off the sound on my meter, and I can usually test without anyone noticing.

[/quote]

You can turn the sound off on your meter? I've always wondered if I could do this, but have never taken the time to learn how. Which meter do you use?

Sarah, I use the Accu-Chek Aviva. I'm not sure if all meters can have the sound turned off, but I know that mine and the Freestyle Lite can both have it turned off.  What meter do you use?

wow  that  so wird that  lost of  you  guys  have to test in a  nurses   office i have  never  ever had to test in nurses office  idk if we even had  a nurses office i test  wear ever  when ever  i want  .

Seb-

I have a Freestyle meter too, but I don't use it much. I have an Animas Ping insulin pump, so I usually use the One-Touch Meter Remote that goes along with it. I'll have to check out the manual and see if I can turn the sound off.

Neither can I. they said it might cause other students to want to play with my stuff. I'm like hello, we're not all three here!!

I just got the freedom to test anywhere on school campis and im alowed to carry my cell phone in my bag if its off, but who doesnt?  But there are like idk how many but there's quite a few dieabetics at my school and none of them foght for the right.

Freedom!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-MAcy

Me. Get your rents to fight for you.  It's a health problem so they have to let you.  And if they dont go to the higher man in charge!

-Macy

Me.  They have to let you it's a health problem.  You should get your rents to fight for you.  And if they still say no go to the man in charge of them.

-Macy

When I was in grade school our school nurse made me come to her office every hour to check. If I was even the slightest bit off she would keep me in her office until I was okay. It was terrible.  So I stuck it out for grade school but then the problem only got worse in middle school.  So my parents had to bring in a lawyer to make a legal document that says I can treat myself and I have the ultimate say in how I take care of things.  I still have it in place for high school. So I can test when I want and where I want and treat the way I feel I should.  It was a lot of work for my parents but it didn't cost much or take very long at all. But talk to your school nurse or even principal first.  If they are still against it and you don't want to bring in lawyers you can also learn to be very sneaky about it.  I have taught myself to test in the least noticeable way under my desk as to not draw attention to myself during class.  I have my test kit in a pencil case and turned off the sound on the meter.  I have gotten so good at it that not even my helicopter like mom realizes that I am testing in the middle of a conversation. But talk to your parents and school nurse first.

i test without my teachers knowing. i dont think they should be allowed to tell us what we should do. this is our disease, not theirs. my teachers i think are perfectly fine if i test though, well my english reach teacher doesnt mind. i attend a normal sized middle school though and the nurses office is like right in the middle of the entire school.