Taking Nyquil

Has anyone taken Nyquil and does it affect your sugar levels? I take levemir and rarely novolog with tight control.

I've never had any issues with dayquil/nyquil. Although, if I'm sick enough to be taking one of the two, my glucose is probably already messed up :)

[quote user="Pat"]

I've never had any issues with dayquil/nyquil. Although, if I'm sick enough to be taking one of the two, my glucose is probably already messed up :)

[/quote]

agreed. i don't really worry about the sugar content, i also run high when i'm sick and i've been told to just take a few extra units for the medicine.

Thanks I will try it and see what happens.

Yeah - it tends to elevate my sugars a bit.  Even in the small doses advised, it's pretty thick with sugar to disguise the medicine taste.

I haven't really noticed any spikes with cold meds like that. Though I'm probably like Pat - the effects just blend into my elevated levels anyway :P

When I take Nyquil, I usually take a unit or two to cover.......My blood sugar is usually elevated anyway due to being sick!

I don't know if it's the same with adult meds, but the pharmacist told me now you can get reduced sugar and sugar free meds for kids. Maybe ask.

[quote user="JenPeltier"]

I don't know if it's the same with adult meds, but the pharmacist told me now you can get reduced sugar and sugar free meds for kids. Maybe ask.

[/quote]

you might as well just go for the regular meds. they aren't gonna effect you that much more than the sickness itself and some of the chemicals they add to "reduced sugar" and "sugar free" are worse/make you feel worse than the sugar would. (ie. regular candy vs "sugar-free" candy)

i've always been told by doctors to not be concerned about looking for sugar-free and to just take regular meds (when i take them which isn't every time I get sick) and to just take a few extra units to cover the sugar. i use a herbal chinese cough medicine sometimes when i get a cold and it is extremely sugary(when i was little i actually used to pretend i felt a cough coming on so my mom would let me have some..it's THAT tasty) so i just take an extra unit at my next shot, or the one prior to it.

More great advice thanks everybody!

You can always take the pill form of it, I would assume they wouldnt have sugar in that since you don't actually have to taste it.

Well I took it two nights in a row and my BS in the morning was 106 and 110. Got some sleep and feel a lot better. Thanks for everyone's input.