Drugs?!

Okay, now that I got your attention... ;)  I just remembered something and wanted to get some feedback on it.  Have you ever, or do you currently take any over the counter medications that have warnings about not taking them if you're a diabetic?  I usually thought "hahaha that somehow doesn't apply to me!" until I took Advil Cold and Sinus for the first time and felt like I was tripping all night.  Seriously, not sure if it had to do with T1 or not, but I was up ALL night feeling paranoid as shit.  Lol!  Well, at least I wasn't thinking about my cold...

Molly

i do it all the time for cold meds. it usually just means there's a shitload of sugar in there. like the NyQuil drinks. i usually only take half a package but put the amount of water in it that i would if it were a whole package. then i give myself an extra unit or two at my next shot. i've taken Advil Cold & Sinus numerous times and had no problem. Then again, I took so much Advil, Tylenol and IBU in highschool to deal with my headaches, that they don't usually work unless i double each dose. Tylenol 3's don't even work for me.

I have done it before also, but tend to be really conservative with over the counter drugs in general.  I am wary of sedative drugs, I have always been freaked out by the possiblity of not being able to wake up with a low blood sugar.  I don't know if that is a paraniod perspective or what, but I also figure it is just one more thing for my liver and kidneys to clean out.  I have taken tylenol sinus and benedryl- when I could barely breath. 

i won't take cold meds because they make me feel like my BG is low. and my head feels all floaty. i rarely take OTC meds because i don't like to take them (i feel like i take enough drugs all ready).

Advil Cold and Sinus contains a compound called pseudoephedrine hydrocloride, and sadly pseudoephedrine is the main ingredient used in making street meth, so your reaction to taking the decongestant is quite normal even for people without T1 diabetes.  Some people are more sensitive to the "upper" effect of pseudoephedrine than others, so enjoy your strong reaction to it if you wish to do so, but make sure to watch your blood sugar if you take it again because it causes a spike in adrenaline, which causes a spike in blood sugar.

As far as other OTC or Rx drugs go (in my experience), usually if the drug wakes you up it will cause your blood sugar to raise and if the drug makes you drowsy you can expect to run lower.

the new advil cold and sinus is much milder than their old formula lol and it does it to me as well. I am not t-1. We were told the reason for the diabetic warning labels was for the sugars in them but our book also says if you need them you need them and just watch your numbers.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!  Yea, with the exception of just regular advil and aleve for headaches or cramps or whatever, I had never taken any kind of decongestant before.  I guess I am just super-sensitive to pseudoephedrine.  I'm definitely not taking it again!

[quote user="Andrea Gardner"]

Advil Cold and Sinus contains a compound called pseudoephedrine hydrocloride, and sadly pseudoephedrine is the main ingredient used in making street meth,

[/quote]

i don't know about other states, but when you buy OTC drugs containing pseudoephedrine in iowa, you have to sign your name on a registry and give them your driver's license number. you can only buy so much of the product within a certain time frame too. they're all kept behind the counter at the pharmacy and can only be bought at certain times (unless you have a 24-hour pharmacy near you). we have a horrible meth problem in iowa, so they're trying to make it more difficult to buy meth ingredients.

just thought i'd throw that in there...

Molly, there are, non-sugar or low-sugar, cold drugs on the market.  You have to look for them.  Don't know how good they work, as I havent had a cold yet with my diabetis.  My daughter brought me some different kinds from a natural supplement store, to try.   My drug store that I use, also said they would work with me and get them, he also confrmed, they are there, most drug stores don't cary them, as not much demand.  Hope this helps. Melody

Ive been suffering this past week with a bad cold and i tryed a regular cold medication it made me feel worse. So now im takeing a all natural Herbal Cough&Throat Syrup called NIN JIOM. It has worked well for me and its only sweetened a bit with a little honey. Though if you try it put it in a bit of hot water cuz it is very thick if you dont.

[quote user="Melody"]

Molly, there are, non-sugar or low-sugar, cold drugs on the market.  You have to look for them.  Don't know how good they work, as I havent had a cold yet with my diabetis.  My daughter brought me some different kinds from a natural supplement store, to try.   My drug store that I use, also said they would work with me and get them, he also confrmed, they are there, most drug stores don't cary them, as not much demand.  Hope this helps. Melody

[/quote]

They usually have a couple of the "diabetic" cold medicines at the regular pharmacy near the robitussin. I think they're just w/o sugar. I've always been fine with regular decongestants BG-wise, so I don't take them often b/c they do keep me up at night.

[quote user="Daniella"]

Ive been suffering this past week with a bad cold and i tryed a regular cold medication it made me feel worse. So now im takeing a all natural Herbal Cough&Throat Syrup called NIN JIOM. It has worked well for me and its only sweetened a bit with a little honey. Though if you try it put it in a bit of hot water cuz it is very thick if you dont.

[/quote]

i'm pretty sure thats the same stuff i usually take..and a little bit of honey is an understatement! unless they have recently changed the receipe(it's been about 6months since I last bought any) that stuff is loaded with sugar. i used to pretend to have a cough sometimes when i was little, just to get a spoon of it cuz it tasted sweeter than candy. you gotta be careful with that stuff, it used to shoot my levels up(they were already up cuz i was sick, but it's worse than NyQuil tea) but i agree on the hot water, i usually take two or three spoonfuls of hot water for every spoonful i take.

i don't think i've ever taken "diabetic" cold medicine..after trying sugar-free candy though..i don't think i ever would. whatever they replace the sugar with to make it taste "sweet" is worse than drinking a bottle of buckleys! (I have since been able to actually do that when i'm REALLY sick after trying sugar free "diabetic" candy)