T1D for 40 years now...I'm so tired emotionally

hi,
keep it up. i am a t1D for 56 years. yes it is tiring, but what are our choices. i do not have any complications and yes i get pretty tired of doing this every day. l have 3 children ages 56,54 and 52. boy i was brave. i have 2 granddaughters of 22 and 25 and we have to keep going for them.

anita

Wow David wasn’t sure I would find anyone with T1D longer than me. It is now 60 years for me, diagnosed at age 10. I remember the fizzling urine sugar test tube kit. I had a glass syringe with a rather large needle that I kept in alcohol. One large shot each morning of U40 insulin. I also have kept very busy my entire life. To those who are still young remember there is nothing better that hard exercise to keep your diabetes in shape. I have no complications but something I am having a problem with is this. When I was young and having a low sugar I could eat and in a few minutes felt fine. Now at 70 I can drink juice, eat candy and my sugar continues to drop for 45 minutes. I have lost the ability to feel a low coming on. I’m using a dexcom5 to help me out but it is far from perfect. I had my Dr prescribe a glucose shot but Medicare and my insurance want close to $200 for one. Any wise words of advise would be greatly accepted. Jim

Hi Jim,

Our low sugars ARE a nemesis of who we have been for so long. I’ve been taught that anything other than pure sugar needs to be digested before that food’s sugar is available for absorption. The standard rule of 15/15, or 15 grams of glucose sugar and wait for 15 minutes is 30/30 for me. Even orange juice has a type of sugar that needs to be digested before it is available to us for absorption so I have white granular sugar in small containers on my bedside stand, in my pants pocket, and on our kitchen counter. My teacher is a dietician who became a diabetic educator, then a Medtronic pump educator. Hope this makes sense for you. Dave