Switching from 670 to t:slim

How does one get to the European forums? I’m not real techie and was happy to find you guys! Would love to have a comparison between the 780 and the T-Slim with Dexcom!

Are you on Medicare? If so, Medicare has you rent the pump for a year, paying it off monthly, until at the end of the year you own it. But you can decide to send it back and switch back to a Medtronic pump. At least that’s how I understand it (others who udnerstand this better, plese chime in!). I got my Tandem t:slim over a year ago, and now own it… and love it! I had only a Medtronic 530, not a 670, so the difference may have been greater for me. But I love the Tandem-Dexcom combination. Now I know what’s really going on, in-between finger-sticks.
–Keith
T1D 60 years
(and going strong)

That is not the US Medicare that I know, Keith @khjalmarj .

Since I became a Medicare Beneficiary 10 years ago when I turned 70, I’ve had to upgrade pumps two times after IO had OWNED the previous pumps for one year AFTER the manufacturer’s warranty had expired. And, I have oned the new pumps I got through Medicare from day one. For instance, the Tandem t-Slim x2 that I purchased two + years ago, what I paid was the $700 DME [Durable Medical Equipment] 20% co-insurance. There has never been any rental involved.

Hi,

I also switched from Medtronic to T:slim with Dexcom and I would never switch back! Dexcom is so much better (for me at least) and once I got use to the Tandem reservoir, which did take a little while, I found this combo to be so much better.

Pam K
T1D 56+ years and counting!

My sister also got a 670G when she went on Medicare at 65 y.o. She paid on it for 1 year, now it is hers. Problem is, she wants to switch to Tandem & her Medicare Advantage plan won’t let her until the 5 yr. warranty expires.

Thank you Pam for your msg. I just am hung up over that lack of battery, esp with those TX power outages!

FWIW, I’ve charged my T:Slim in my car and using portable charging blocks. We have a collection of those and keep them charged up so some are always handy. I typically plug in while I’m watching TV, lying down or sitting at my desk - if I’m going to be stationery for a while I plug it in to keep it “topped off” but even if it’s low it does not take long to charge.

2 Likes

Hmmm… interesting! My Medicare explanation of benefits does clearly state that the monthly payment Medicare makes is a rental fee. That will end with this month’s payment, a year having gone by. And I was told by Tandem and Byram Healthcare (from whom I bought the pump) that before the final payment, I could end the agreement, and look into going with a different pump. (I don’t know what penalty there would be in that case: I love my Tandem!). I do believe, however, this was not the arrangement I had when I got my previous Medtronic pump through Medicare. I wonder how this came about. Oh, well.

You can change the region that you search on a drop down box, just pick a European country that you read the language, or you could look at the FB groups. I don’t use FB but I understand there are dedicated groups of 780g users.

Hi, I just switched from the 670G to the tslim and I literally hate it. I feel I have less control, my bgs are never correct, in fact it’s 2am and my BG is 300. Two days on the tslim and I cannot wait to return it. T1D for 41 years and my advice is to stick with what works for you.
And - don’t let diabetic educators talk you into something you don’t really want.

That’s odd, @JaneDC . Much different from my experience. If I may ask: Do you have a CGM? Are you on Basal IQ or Control IQ? Have you talked to your doc and/or the Tandem staff?

But, yeah, definitely go with what works for you. I hope you can find something that does.

I’m very sorry to hear about your experience with your Tandem pump. Any new device can take some adjusting, and while I understand your concern and anger about your numbers two days may not be enough time to evaluate.
Are you using Basal/Control IQ? You might not have started yet since you’re new to the Tandem pump, but if you are using it there are additional background settings such as weight and total daily insulin that need to be entered so it can do its calculations.
Or it could be a matter of adjusting your basal rates. Former Medtronic users, I’ve always been curious - did the same basal rates work for you when you switched, or did you need to tweak them?
Of course you need to go with what works for you but if you would like to share your issues we may be able to help you find some possibilities. We’re not medical professionals but we’re here to help.

My settings remained pretty much the same. 2 units per hour baseline basal. 5g of carbs per unit. I think we kept the correction factor (1 unit per 20 points above target) the same, as well. But I’ve had better control with Control IQ than the 670g. A few more lows, but not bad. It’s been much better at handling nighttime highs, though, even without the automatic correction bolus during sleep mode.

Thanks fellow night owl (or morning person). You would think they would remain the same but I always wonder, and I switched so long ago I don’t remember!

Only a night owl this week. I’ve got non-24 circadian disorder (among other medical issues) so I actually live on a 25 hour Martian day, cycling around the clock about once a month while remaining permanently jet lagged.

But, yeah. The 670g and t:slim have different basal algorithms. But I’m using the same insulin and my body and diet are the same, so it makes sense to start with the same basic parameters.

Hey there. Yes, using CGM on both systems. I put the 670 back on after posting and BG is finally back to a normal 115.
I also found filling the cartridge to be a pain, the circular tape on the infusion set was awkward, the amount of waste was really troubling (disposable everything), and my BG was normal for only two hours the entire time I wore the Tandem.
That’s great if it’s working for some folks - having constantly high BG just isn’t something I’m willing to play with. T1D isn’t a ‘one size fits all’ disease.

1 Like

Truth.

You’ve got to do what’s right for you, and it certainly sounds like you just did.

Thank you for posting — I worry about the pressure some people can put (even unintentionally) on others to do things a certain way. As long as you’re not hurting anyone (note: you’re an anyone), then let a thousand flowers bloom! :cherry_blossom::sunflower::rose:

1 Like

Definitely go with what works for you. I never meant to imply otherwise. I’m just interested to learn from someone whose experience was the exact opposite of mine. It would be helpful to understand what happened, perhaps so I can avoid pitfalls with my own pump.

2 Likes

Hi @JaneDC . I’m a big fan of TSlim/Dexcom so apologies if I was pushy. Thankfully you’re an independent thinker, and know what works well and best for you.
One clarification I would like to make - and an agreement: I use the AutoSoft XC or AutoSoft 90 tubing sometimes and I agree that spiral of paper is annoying🤨. And as much as I do like having the set and the tubing in one case, unwinding the tubing can be a hassle as well.
Those are the 90 degree sets. I mostly use the AutoSoft 30 - the paper covering the adhesive is more of an oval shape, which I find much easier to work with, with my big fingers. I think I’ve read that the sets for the TSLIM are the same as the Medtronic except for the way they attach to the cartridge - that is, the part you insert in your body is the same BUT you can’t use TSLIM tubing with Medtronic cartridges, and vice versa because the connections don’t match… If I’m wrong I I’m happy to stand corrected.
It sounds like you’re in the process of returning your TSLIM and eagerly awaiting your new Medtronic pump, which I totally respect. I just wanted to note for other new users that there are different types of sets you can get (90 and 30 degree) and a person may prefer one over the other.
I hope you’re connected to your new Medtronic soon!