Struggling!

Good Morning! Its been a full month now that we are dealing with it! And my baby and I have came so far in that month. But now my husband and I have separated this Sunday will be two weeks! And now keiths count is all over the place from being emotional from the separation. And I don’t know what more to do for him I feel so bad for him. He keeps running about 220 to Hi. I have called his dr and they upped his night insulin to 3 units. I am seriously trying to keep him sheltered from all of it but Im struggling I feel like man I hope this turn around soon!

hello @Jlynn83

How old is Keith? can he tell you how he is feeling?
with elevated blood sugar from stress, colds, or just plain “not enough insulin” it’s a good idea to watch for keytones and drink more water in general to avoid dehydration. Large or High keytones, with high blood sugar can be a real problem and you’ll have to take him to the ER. watch out for vomiting, blasting headaches, flu-like symptoms and don’t be afraid to call the doctor

is Keith on only 1 kind of insulin? do you know what it is?

can you ask your doctor for a referral to a CDE (certified diabetes educator) that can be of more help than a doctor for day-to-day insulin adjustments?

the typical fist month can be very difficult for many reasons. one of those many reasons is that Keith may have been making a little of his own insulin, which can sometimes make you feel as if you have done something wrong when his sugar starts to climb (and this may just mean he isn’t making as much of his own insulin anymore).

I hope you can get the medical support you need.

Nope he is on two kinds of insulins homolog after he eats and lantus at night, and I have been in contact with his dr and let her know whats going on. I have watch for key tones and so far he has been negative. I do know that they said if he is a more emotional or stressed his sugars would be higher! He is 6 years old so he can tell me how he feels he is starting to recognize highs but not lows. He has only had two lows and those were both at school.

This has to be the worst feeling in the world… Not being able to help your child. I wish there was something positive I could say but diabetes is such a crazy disease and the more you try to figure it out, the more detours it takes. The only advice I can give is to try to remain calm. Don’t take his “bad” numbers personal. There are days we do absolutely EVERYTHING right and the numbers just go crazy! My son is 10 and was diagnosed when he was 3. You actually do manage to become more calm about things as time goes on. As Joe said, more than likely your son is in the honeymoon phase and it may be a bit before his numbers stabilize. It sounds like you’re doing all the right things so just keep on and when you feel the need to vent - we’re here for you.
Hang in there. Having to deal with your son’s diabetes is difficult enough without the added stress of a separation. I will pray for you. :slight_smile:

Yes hang in there. This is all good advice.

First off, hugs to you! I’m so sorry you’re going through a separation and a new diagnosis at the same time. That’s a lot to deal with! I hope that regardless of the separation, you’re husband can be on the same page with you about giving your son lots of attention right now to help ease his emotional stress.

Next, take a deep breath. Diabetes takes time to get things on track, and even then, it doesn’t always cooperate. I’m Type1, as well as my 9yr old daughter (diagnosed at age 5), and her numbers are much harder to control than mine. Children’s diabetes needs change a lot, because they’re growing. My daughter’s care team didn’t stress about numbers in the 200s when she was 1st diagnosed. It was more important to try to keep things steady and not drop too low. Your son’s basals and bolus amounts might change around quite a bit at first. Do you have a whole care team (Diabetes Educator, Nutritionist, Youth Counselor, and Doctor), or are you only working with a doctor? It’s really important to have at least a Diabetes Educator and Doctor? Throughout my life and my daughter’s, our Diabetes Educator has always been the most help.

Feel free to message me about anything. I’ll do my best to answer any questions or direct you towards someone who can. Hang in there, and keep doing your best. You’re doing a great job!