Splenda

Hi Ladies!

Does anyone know if Splenda is ok to have while pregnant?  I've read in several different places that it's ok cause it is not absorbed but my endo. said I shouldn't use it.  Any suggestions???

I just found out last week that I am pregnant.  I'm 6 weeks today.  My husband and I are soooo excited.  This will be out 1st baby! 

Thanks, Maria 

Hi Maria!

First of all congratulations! I wish you an easy pregnancy and want to assure you that it is possible even with diabetes. I just had my first child 3 weeks ago and have been diabetic for 13 years. Thankfully he is perfectly healthy and so am I!

Regarding Splenda, I would be cautious using it since its a chemically processed sugar substitute and is so new to the market that real research on the use of it during pregnancy is probably not be reliable at this point.

If you are look for a calorie-free/ sugar- free alternative, try using Stevia. It is a natural sweetener and is plant derived. You can find it in leaf form (dried) or as a powder, in health food stores like whole foods. It is also available online on sites such as Luckyvitamin.com. 

Let me know if you have any questions about it and good luck with your pregnancy!!!

All the best,

Danielle

Thanks, Danielle!

Congratulations to you too!  I'm so happy to hear both you and your son are doing well. 

I will definately get some Stevia.  I've heard of it before but I've never tried it.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I'm just looking for something to put in my decaf coffee in the mornings so Stevia sounds perfect. 

Maria

Hi Maria, and congratulations!

I am in the process of starting a family as well.  As recently as last month, my OB and MFM doctors both confirmed that Splenda is safe during pregnancy - but every person has to decide for themselves what they want to consume in the "not sure if it's safe" category.

Good luck!

Kim

Thanks, Kim!  And good luck to you too!

Maria