Running out of insulin and delay with insurance renewal

Hello, I wanted to reach out to get some advice. My boyfriend has type 1, he is 27 years old and had diabetes since he was 14. He is on Medicare and there is a delay with the renewal of his insurance. It kicks in in one month. He has done an appeal to get the start date brought forward but the appeal could take a week to ten days. He has already run out of his novolog and is trying to balance things with his 24 hrs medication and watching what he eats etc. He blood sugars have been all over the place. And a month is a long way to go without the proper medication. Would anyone have suggestions on how to access emergency medication until the insurance kicks in. Recently he has had a bad seizure where he was hospitalised for a week. So the situation it quite serious. I would love to hear people’s experience or suggestions.

it may come as a hardship, but he can go and buy a bottle of insulin R, even without a prescription. R works just like novolog… with the exception that it takes longer to start working - it kept me alive for the first 27 years of diabetes. If he has a script but no insurance… same story at any pharmacy. he can go to an ER as well.

Most communities have some free mobile clinics too. Also, if it’s Medicaid instead of Medicare, they’ll pay once approved even before the effective date. He can call them and get details.

I know it’s more than a month later, but in case you ever need this information again, I was able to get “samples” of insulin from my endocrinologist while I was between insurances. I was so broke and had maybe a day’s worth of insulin left and I asked her if she had any suggestions from what other patients have done, and she just gave them to me. I broke down and cried in the office because it was such a relief to be given $1,300 worth of insulin!

HottieMcHot

September 2

I know it’s more than a month later, but in case you ever need this information again, I was able to get “samples” of insulin from my endocrinologist while I was between insurances. I was so broke and had maybe a day’s worth of insulin left and I asked her if she had any suggestions from what other patients have done, and she just gave them to me. I broke down and cried in the office because it was such a relief to be given $1,300 worth of insulin!

Yes, I would encourage Regular insulin until your insurance goes through. You can buy it without insurance, its cheaper, and available at Walmart.

SEND HIM TO Walmart for a bottle of U-100 R insulin. used it for years before the new stuff came out. Same dosage as his novolog, don’t need a prescription and it’s $24.88 a bottle. Get it now, don’t wait… Works just as well. PLEASE DO IT NOW. Bye Jan

Thanks Jan. We will check it out.