Really high blood sugars that wont go downn :(

hey.  i felt sick 12 hours ago so i have not had anything to eat but this moring i woke up with a 307 and then just went on with my day abnd had nothing to eat and it went up to 478 and i had somthing small to eat and now its over 600 and im feeling really sick and cant get it down i have had diabetes for 3 years now and have never got my blood sugars to b good for more then a week and im always feeling sick and need some ook to talk to so thanks

Welcome AnnaBell,

Must be something in the air, lot's of people have been having high bs.

With your bs numbers, drink a lot of water and if they stay over 250 for more than 24 hrs call the Dr. That's what they told me. Really hoping you feel better and there are lot's of great people to talk to here, just make a friend request!!!

[quote user="AnnaBell."]

hey.  i felt sick 12 hours ago so i have not had anything to eat but this moring i woke up with a 307 and then just went on with my day abnd had nothing to eat and it went up to 478 and i had somthing small to eat and now its over 600 and im feeling really sick and cant get it down i have had diabetes for 3 years now and have never got my blood sugars to b good for more then a week and im always feeling sick and need some ook to talk to so thanks

[/quote]

Hi AnnaBell are you on the pump or on shots?

Here are my thoughts:

#1 you need to find out why your basal insulin is not covering or keeping you BG normal. Eat nothing until you BG is in normal range. Lots of things can cause this to happen, drugs, bad insulin, broken pump and etc. Check you ketones and watch out for DKA. If high get in to see an MD (ER if needed, be humble).

Take a bolus to lower your BG to normal based on your BG to Unit of insulin ratio.

If you are on a pump, check the pump, the infusion and the site. Disconnect it an bolus to make sure it is pushing insulin out. Take injections if necessary. You can use rapid insuling to cover for your basal, just devide your total basal by 24 and round it off to the next whole number.

If you are on MDI, check the bottle of long acting insulin, if cloudy toss it. Start a new bottle. If it is bad, use rapid as described above.

If, after 1.5 hours of taking your bolus to lower your bg and not eating, your BG is not going down contact and or see your medical team immediately. It may take a few hours to get to the bottom for the bolus you used earlier.

If you bg begins to come down, you may need to ad more if it is not coming down all the way to normal. When it gets to normal, start adding to your basal dosage in 10% incriments with hourly dosage changes, until it remains stable without eating.

Good advice, SJW. It will be okay, though, if she wants (or needs) to eat a little something. If she goes a long time without food, her body will sense she's in fasting and her liver will begin to dump glucose into her bloodstream to compensate. By eating (even if just a little), it will help prevent that from happening.

Hang in there, Annabell. Things will get easier for you. It is going to take some work, and probably a little frustration, but you will be able to get your numbers in control and in a range you like. Don't be afraid to talk to your doctor. They are there to help you and make you feel better. Your doctor, as well as everyone here, wants what is best for you. Right now, that's seeing some lower numbers!

If you remember, check for ketones when you go to the bathroom. This will be helpful to your doctor if you decide to talk with them. If you have ketones, you may need to take extra insulin to help get rid of them - lots and lots of water will help do this too. Also, don't be afraid to take insulin for your highs. If you aren't on a pump, you are probably on a sliding scale ratio. If you need help figuring out how to calculate how much insulin to take, please feel free to ask us (or again, talk with your doctor). Insulin is going to bring your blood sugars down. It may be slow, but it will help.

And remember, on here, we (at least most of us) aren't medical professionals. We can guide you based on our own personal experiences, but no one will be able to give you advice like a doctor can. We can help you get so far, but you and your doctor will be able to do much more than we can.

Good luck! We are here to help you wherever we can :o)

I know I going to sound a bit snippy here but I have to say something about what you wrote C:

[quote user="C"] If she goes a long time without food, her body will sense she's in fasting and her liver will begin to dump glucose into her bloodstream to compensate. By eating (even if just a little), it will help prevent that from happening.[/quote]

I'm confused, here about what you said here. This is confusing because your liver responds to low BG by putting out stored glucose. I have never heard the idea that a high BG will cause your liver to pump out glucose. 

DKA is the process of breaking down parts of your body to get glucose. Is that what you meant?

It takes several days of fasting to starve. But you are right about needing something which I forgot to mention. H2O fluid is really needed because your body will become dehydrated quickly when BGs are high. The dehydration can cause chemical imbalances that can create many other issues which will impair the body's ability to manage itself, mentally, electrically, and chemically.

Medically, from what I know, the most important thing for someone in this situation is to #1get fluids, and #2 get BG back to normal, or all goes haywire.

Feeding high BGs only raises BGs because w/o insulin your body cannot use any of the food you digest, it just turns in to more glucose. 

C, you are absolutely on the mark about calling the DR. Annabell needed help, and sometimes you have to ask for it, even though calling the MD may be a humbling experience. 

[quote user="sjwprod"]

I know I going to sound a bit snippy here but I have to say something about what you wrote C:

[quote user="C"] If she goes a long time without food, her body will sense she's in fasting and her liver will begin to dump glucose into her bloodstream to compensate. By eating (even if just a little), it will help prevent that from happening.[/quote]

I'm confused, here about what you said here. This is confusing because your liver responds to low BG by putting out stored glucose. I have never heard the idea that a high BG will cause your liver to pump out glucose. 

DKA is the process of breaking down parts of your body to get glucose. Is that what you meant?

It takes several days of fasting to starve. But you are right about needing something which I forgot to mention. H2O fluid is really needed because your body will become dehydrated quickly when BGs are high. The dehydration can cause chemical imbalances that can create many other issues which will impair the body's ability to manage itself, mentally, electrically, and chemically.

Medically, from what I know, the most important thing for someone in this situation is to #1get fluids, and #2 get BG back to normal, or all goes haywire.

Feeding high BGs only raises BGs because w/o insulin your body cannot use any of the food you digest, it just turns in to more glucose. 

C, you are absolutely on the mark about calling the DR. Annabell needed help, and sometimes you have to ask for it, even though calling the MD may be a humbling experience. 

[/quote]

Not to speak for C, but my understanding is. When your body is without food (glucose) it goes into," I think I am starving mood" and will use food better. The problem, also is when your body doesn't have glucose to help use proteins and fat the process is not complete and this is where the ketones come from.

Again this is my understanding, I know C is much better educated on such things. I trust what C says as it is going to be her career! GO C LOL

You don't sound snippy, SJW. I think we just had a miscommunication.

I didn't say "high BGs cause the body to dump glucose." I said "no food causes the body to dump glucose." Even just a few hours without food, the body goes into a fasted state (a state where there is no food for the body to run on - the stomach is empty). When this happens, the liver goes into "gluconeogenesis" where it creates glucose to compensate for the empty belly.

You're right, it takes a few days for the body to actually starve, but within a few hours, it goes into a fasted state where it begins to try to take care of itself. In a sense, the liver is stupid. It doesn't know the difference between actual starvation and just a period of no food (this is why some people experience high BGs overnight during sleep. The liver senses no food and creates glucose to compensate).

I also never told her to NOT take insulin when she eats. Of course, someone should always take insulin when they eat CHOs. I was telling her, if she is hungry and her BG is high, she can still eat. She will need to take insulin for the food and also insulin to correct. Is that more clear? I might have not been as clear before.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Hope this helps.

Isn’t Gluconeogenesis a normal process to provide glucose to the body when there is not enough glucose for the cells and the rise in BG during non-meal and post meal periods is the result of not enough insulin.

During hyperglycemia, the body produces ketones which trigger an increase in gluconeogenesis which has a minimal impact on BG.

Eating food creates a situation where you must deal with multiple factors, And while chasing one you still have to control the others factors to get their BG reduced. I read in several studies that gluconeogenesis has a minimal impact on BG in a hyperglycemic condition.

Maybe the advice we should have provided is that the most important things are to see a medical professional ASAP, to make sure she is taking in fluids, and to help her under stand that only insulin will lower her BG.

But, like typical anal T1Ds who want to "educate" the masses, I think we may have gone a little over board. I did learn a little more about the unique T1D physiology.

Stephen

she probably doesn't care about the science of it, so i'm not going to bother responding.

i told her it's okay to eat. you said she shouldn't. it's up to her to make her own decisions. we both offered advice we thought was best because we both want to help her. this thread has gotten way off topic now, so we should try to refocus it on the original posting.

I totally agree, the science is too much. 

I tried to not post this, but could not post it to you as a comment.