Really Early Mothers Day present for all the Mom's of children with diabetes

Hi, I'm up late tonight, just can't sleep, my daughter had foot/toe surgery last evening, and is in a lot of pain. So up checking on her, and was on the website, and thought about his poem, and just felt like sharing:

Enjoy, God Bless, and Happy Early Mothers Day:

HOW GOD SELECTS THE MOTHER OF A CHILD WITH DIABETES

by Erma BombeckMost women become mothers by accident, some by choice, a few by social pressures and a couple by habit. Did you ever wonder how mothers of children with diabetes are chosen? Somehow I visualize God hovering over earth selecting his instruments for propagation with great care and deliberation. As he observes, he instructs his angels to make notes in a giant ledger.

"Armstrong, Beth, son. Patron Saint Matthew."

"Forrest, Marjorie, daughter, Patron Saint Cecilia."

"Rutledge, Carrie, twins. Patron Saint Gerard. He's used to profanity."

Finally, He passes a name to an angel and smiles, "Give her a child with diabetes." The angel is curious. "Why this one, God? She's so happy."

"Exactly", smiles God. "Could I give child with diabetes to a mother who does not know laughter? That would be cruel".

"But has she the patience?" asks the angel.

"I don't want her to have too much patience, or she will drown in a sea of self-pity and despair. Once the shock and resentment wear off, she'll handle it. I watched her today. She has that feeling of self and independence that is so rare and so necessary in a mother. You see, the child I am going to give her has her own world. She has to make it live in her world and that's not going to be easy."

"But, Lord, I don't think she even believes in you."

God smiles. "No matter. I can fix that. This one is perfect. She has just enough selfishness."

The angel gasps. "Selfishness? Is that a virtue?"

God nods. "If she cannot separate herself from the child occasionally, she will never survive. Yes, here is a woman whom I will bless with less than perfect."

"She does not realize it yet, but she is to be envied. I will permit her to see clearly the things I see .... ignorance, cruelty, prejudice ... and allow her to rise above them. She will never be alone. I will be at her side every minute of every day of her life because she is doing my work as surely as if she is here by my side."

"And what about her patron saint?" asks the angel, his pen poised in mid air. God smiles. "A mirror will suffice."

HAPPY MOTHERS' DAY! 

Every time I see this, it makes me want to cry. How many other moms out there feel it was written just for them?

Beautiful poem that has enlightened me.  Thanks so much for sharing.  I really needed to read something like this.

Happy Mother's Day.

Dancemommy,

Thanks for the wonderful piece...........Erma Bombeck was great, wasn't she?  I've always felt my Jarett was chosen to be a diabetic, but I never considered that maybe I too was chosen.........something to ponder in this late hour.....

ReneeC

I never get tired of reading this poem.  I have it hanging on my fridge.  Thanks for posting it!

Thanks for sharing,  needed this today!!

Thanks for this! Made me cry already - I was just talking with my husband about how I prayed for patience today, and when my teen daughter got up, she was 304 and had 1 unit of insuln left in her pump. GRRRR - I was challanged right off the bat!

I love this - we all fit it perfectly!

Thak you for your post.  My son was diagnosed at age 2.5 last November and I asked myself that question many times.  

Hi, I have been looking for other moms to share with. That was beautiful, I am crying like a baby. I really needed something like that because I have pretty much lost my faith and wondering why God would do this to me and my child. I feel so alone and inadaquate. My son is so unhappy and all the love and support isn't going to make things better. My son had just entered the wonderful teenage years when we found out and to him his life is over. His dreams of being a Navy Seal are shattered and I just don't know how to pick up the pieces. I know I sound like I'm feeling sorry for myself and maybe I am but I want to make his new would a good place. I just don't know how.

Thanks for the cry....I have never seen this before.  I am sitting in my office sobbing, that was the best Mother's Day gift I have ever had!

Colleen

Reilly's Mom 8

Thanks for the cry....I have never seen this before.  I am sitting in my office sobbing, that was the best Mother's Day gift I have ever had!

Colleen

Reilly's Mom 8

Crying...

Ellie

Riley's mom 11 dx 3/18/09

how my god, that is the most lovely mother's poem i have ever heard.  thanks for staying up at 3:00am and sharing this, it means the world to me.  i often ask god why am i here, maybe this is one reason.thanks