Pregnancy and BG highs & lows... what are the potential impacts to the baby?

Hi.  I'm 7 weeks pregnant and wanted to find out more about how BG highs and lows can affect the baby?  My last A1C was 7.0, which is a little higher than I normally am (between 6.3 and 6.7).  

My biggest problem is post meal highs and not being able to recognize lows. 

Last weekend I checked my BG before a snack to find out that I my reading was 35.  Then over-correcting sent me up to the mid 300's.  I've only had one other low that I know of (which wasn't as bad in the mid 50's).  I have a doctor appointment late next week, but was wanted to find out what other people know about this.

Also, I should be getting the medtronic CGM in the next couple days... so hopefully that will help.

Any advice/ information is much appreciated.

Thanks!

First off, congrats on your pregnancy!  I'm 6 weeks along with my second (my daughter is 20 months old) so we're really close to each other!

The CGM should hopefully help a lot, once you get used to wearing it and calibrating it correctly.  I will warn you that I HATED my CGM for about the first month.  I thought that it was wildly innaccurate and and super pain in rear.  In the beginning, it doesn't save you any finger sticks.  In fact, I was checking my blood sugar much more often just to check if it was reading correctly.  But hang in there, you get used to it and used to when the right times to calibrate are for you and once you hit that sweet spot, the info is invaluable. 

It is very common to experience a lot of lows in the first trimester.  My doc explained it to me in my last pregnancy and I can't remember entirely, but something about the rapid growth of the baby in the beginning - all the baby's organs and body systems are forming and it's a lot of work and makes you really, really insulin sensitive.  Be prepared to evaluate and adjust basal rates and carb ratios every week or so.  And try to be very conservative about corrections, since you're not entirely sure yet what your body is doing and how it's adjusting.  He warned me that weeks 8 - 10 are particularly problemtic for being insulin sensitive and to watch out for lows and adjust accordingly.  Once you get to the 2nd trimester, it will change and you'll be more like what you were before pregnant (insulin and blood sugar-wise).  And then somewhere around 22-24 weeks - BOOM!  Insulin resistance kicks in hard and you need to constantly adjust the other way.  I was taking triple my pre-pregnancy doses when I hit that stage.  But I'm sure your doctor/CDE will be working very closely with you to figure out basal rates and carb ratios every step of the way.  I met with my endo every 2 weeks for the first 2 trimesters and every week in the third.  It sounds like a lot, but the visits were really quick and your doc may even do some of it in email or on the phone.

I also find it helpful to moderate my carb intake at every meal/snack.  I really try to not eat more than 40-50g of carb in one sitting.  This helps me tremendously with my post meal spikes.  (FYI though, I'm not always perfect.  Last night I ate a huge plate of pasta because it just sounded good. Don't beat yourself up and allow yourself to indulge every once in awhile so you don't go bonkers.)  And try to stick to carb sources like whole grains and vegetable carbs (sweet potatoes, peas, etc.)  At snacks, I try to eat a little protein with carbs for snacks.  Apples and peanut butter, cheese and crackers, etc.

If you are having trouble recognizing lows, I would probably recommend frequent testing for you for the time being.  You are going to be increasingly insulin sensitive over the next few weeks and you want to catch lows before they get too terrible.  Don't worry too much about how highs and lows affect the baby.  My doc told me that individual numbers aren't what to focus on - it's the trends.  So as long as you're not 300 for days straight, you're fine.  And lows won't hurt the baby - unless they cause you to hurt yourself!  All women (even non-diabetic ones) run low blood sugar in the early weeks of pregnancy. 

Hope that helps! Congrats again and good luck!

Congrats on your pregnancy as well!  I guess our due dates will be pretty close together!  =)

Thanks for the note... I really appreciate the information and advice.  It's so reassuring to hear that I'm not the only one going through some of the highs and lows... and that as long as they aren't regular occurances they shouldn't harm the baby.  I'm so excited to be pregnant (my husband and I were trying for about a year) but am also driving myself crazy wanting to make sure I have the healthiest little baby ever.  I probably just need to relax a bit! 

Hope you're feeling well... my first 5 weeks went pretty smooth (just a little more tired than usual).  At 6 weeks morning sickness (well actually it's more like all day and night nasuea) set in... so I'm really appreciating the times I feel good more than ever now.  I guess this is just part of the 1st trimester fun ;).

Thanks again for the note.

Congrats to you both!!!! I am in the process of trying to get pregnant and so far it's been two months with no luck :(  i also heard that having low blood sugars can actual harm the baby in the early stages of development becuase of the lack of glucose for brain development.  I tend to get A LOT of lows.  I also agree with candace that the trends are what matters.  In dieting you go crazy when you restrict yourself to nothing but rabbit food so I can't imagine being pregnant and having more of those cravings times Ten....anywho good luck to you both.

Hi Ladies!!  Congrats to everyone who is pregnant, it is an exciting journey!  I just recommended this book to Nicole on another forum, but wanted to reiterate it here -- I contributed to this book and think it is an ESSENTIAL for any T1 woman who is pregnant or considering pregnancy. 

The author is Cheryl Alkon and the title is "Balancing Pregnancy with Pre-existing Diabetes"  Check it out on Amazon.  

I contributed to the bit about hiring a doula- but please don't read my story first, it isn't the best labor story out there ;)  Enjoy the ride, the gift at the end is the best ever!

Betsy

T1 since 93, age 18

[quote user="BetsyJFM"]

Hi Ladies!!  Congrats to everyone who is pregnant, it is an exciting journey!  I just recommended this book to Nicole on another forum, but wanted to reiterate it here -- I contributed to this book and think it is an ESSENTIAL for any T1 woman who is pregnant or considering pregnancy. 

The author is Cheryl Alkon and the title is "Balancing Pregnancy with Pre-existing Diabetes"  Check it out on Amazon.  

I contributed to the bit about hiring a doula- but please don't read my story first, it isn't the best labor story out there ;)  Enjoy the ride, the gift at the end is the best ever!

Betsy

T1 since 93, age 18

[/quote]

Hee hee... I just ordered that book on Amazon yesterday.  :D

[quote user="Kim"]

[quote user="BetsyJFM"]

Betsy

T1 since 93, age 18

[/quote]

[/quote]

DOES KIM HAVE A SECRET?

Nope.  :)  I fall under the "considering" category.

[quote user="C"]

[quote user="Kim"]

[quote user="BetsyJFM"]

Betsy

T1 since 93, age 18

[/quote]

[/quote]

DOES KIM HAVE A SECRET?

[/quote]

LOLOL. Kim would never keep a secret from us!

Congrats to everyone else on your pregnancies!

Flowers, there have also been someone similar threads in our D/pregnancy Juvenation group, so I'd check that out too!

Congrats to you that are expecting! It is such an awesome thing! And things might be a little crazy for a while but the end result is amazing! I obsessed a little about my blood sugars when i was pregnant but my doctor wanted me to try to focus on other things like the fact that i could keep nothing down. I had that all day sickness that flowers is talking about ...for me it was hyperemesis or something but i think it is kind of normal in the first trimester. I had it through all 3 of my pregnancies. I have always kind of wondered if a lot of t1's have that or if i was just a "special" case?

Anyways please keep us updated! And you that are trying too! And you too Kim! ;)

Hi everyone--thanks, Betsy, for recommending my book here and anywhere else.

"Balancing Pregnancy With Pre-Existing Diabetes: Healthy Mom, Healthy Baby" is indeed available through Amazon, Barnesandnoble.com, Borders, and in some actual bookstores (plus can be ordered from the publisher, Demos Medical Publishing, at Demosmedpub.com.) It also covers women with type 2, too. (So spread the word among your type 2 friends trying to get pregnant!)

I'm also selling autographed copies through Paypal, plus shipping, so if you're interested, feel free to email me directly at Lyrehca AT gmail DOT com.

I love to hear what people think of the book after they've read it, so please let me know if you liked it (or have some feedback or constructive comments.).

All best to everyone with their pregnancies and efforts to get pregnant!

--Cheryl

author, Balancing Pregnancy With Pre-Existing Diabetes: Healthy Mom, Healthy Baby

Lyrehca on Managing the Sweetness Within (www.thesweetnesswithin.blogspot.com)

Hi everyone.  I just joined this site and am finding it so informative! I am also 6 weeks pregnant with my first (concieved through IVF) so my husband and I are thrilled!!!!! I am  32 yrs old and have had type 1 diabetes for 6 yesra.  I just wanted to ask how often many of you have gone through "mild hypoglycemia".  The last two nights I have had episodes but I wake up immediately and I am around 2.8 mmol, however I think that I catch it just as it is going down as I wake up pretty fast feeling "funny"! My husband is a physician and tells me not to worry too much as the embryo is protected first during pregnancy but I cannot help but worry! I was just wondering how common this is and how many of you have experienced hypoglycemia.  I have tried to find articles stating risks to the fetus due to hypoglycemia but mostly articles focus on high blood sugar not the low! THe ones I have read seem to differentiate between severe low and mild low blood sugar, and I am assuming that since I remain fully aware that I am only experiencing mild lows!

Hope I can get some insight from everyone

Thanks and congratulations to everyone on their pregnancies!!!!!!!!!!