Gary Sheiner's Carb Counting for Pizza

Gary Scheiner is a diabetes educator and author of "Think Like a Pancreas."  He's offering a free 10 minute class on dosing insulin (by injection or pump) for pizza.  Just go to his site below and scroll to the bottom of the page.  Good stuff.

https://www.type1university.com/

Yeah that was good.  I learned a couple of new things.  A large meal can lead to a low then high because it takes longer to digest the carbohydrates.  If you only look at the carbohydrates and not the timing you'll have a lot of insulin acting too soon and not several hours later when you need it.  Also never knew exactly what effect the fat in the meal would have.  That seems a lot easier to handle if you have a pump.  Gary seems like a nice guy.

I should have paid attention to this info when I was eating pizza last night, watching the game.  

Thought I had bolused correctly and my blood sugar was fine at 11pm when I went to bed.  But woke up in the middle of the night at 347!  Darn pizza.  (I'm sure it wasn't that I was a pig, eating too much pizza.)  

one reason I miss NPH because it was pretty good at dealing with Pizza.