Other Auto-immune problems

Is there anyone else who has more than 1 auto-immune problem?  Besides being T1 I am also anemic, B12 def, and I have hypothyroidism.  The doctors found out that I had hypothyroidism about 6 months after d-day and they said that when you have an autoimmunity you are susceptible to other ones.  In 2005 I was really weak and dizzy, found out I was 2 pints low on blood.  Had to go to the hospital for a transfusion and the only explanation was that I was b12 def. which can cause anemia.

Karen,

I have T1, Hypothyroidism, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and I suspect that I may have Rheumatoid Arthritis.  So, I'm pretty much ripping my hair out at this point.  :)  I'm going to the Dr. tomorrow to figure out what's going on with my joints.  I really really hope it's not RA but all signs are pointing to that. 

Did the hospital say that the b12 deficiency was because of your T1?

Molly

Hi,

I have T1 among other medical issues including hypothyroidism. I have been tested repeatedly (about 6x’s) for lupus but everytime I am tested it comes out negative. Now my friend tells me that I will test neg. while not in a flare up. I am finding that having T1 is just the tip of the iceberg with more problems. I am guessing that if you have T1 and 1 auto immune disease you most likely will have at least 1 more if not more.

[quote user="Molly"]

Karen,

I have T1, Hypothyroidism, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and I suspect that I may have Rheumatoid Arthritis.  So, I'm pretty much ripping my hair out at this point.  :)  I'm going to the Dr. tomorrow to figure out what's going on with my joints.  I really really hope it's not RA but all signs are pointing to that. 

Did the hospital say that the b12 deficiency was because of your T1?

Molly

[/quote]

They did.  But then again whenever I have something wrong they always say "It's b/c your a diabetic".  I think it's just an easy answer for them to give when they really have no idea.

Brandan was diagnosed with Alopecia over a year ago. It's a autoimmune disease that causes the hair folicles to be attacked. Thankfully there are no health risks with it. He has been almost completely bald since diagnosis and his eyebrows and eyelashes also fell out. He is due for another complete antibody test in a couple of months. It's a scary thing, you never know when something else has been attacked in his small body.

I was just at my endo appointment and she is having my thyroid tested.  I am extremely tired ALL the time.  I can fall asleep at the drop of a hat. 

I have quite a few of them.  T1 of course, hypothyroidism, polycystic ovaries, fibromyalgia, peripheral neuropathy, and gastroparesis.  I'm not sure if they are all considered auto-immune problems, but I think most of them are...  My problems just keep piling up, I recently also had to have my apendix removed.  I hope you get things under control:)

I have T1, Hashimoto's Disease (form of hypothyroidism), pernicious anemia (can't absorb B12),  and the usual dm complications. I can't tell you how many times I have been told "it's because you are diabetic" to only later find out that no it really isn't.  Unfortunately I have crappy genes where there is a lot of autoimmune disorders, even though I'm the only one with T1.  

Good luck! Don't ever let a doctor tell you its because of the diabetes when you thinks it isn't.

I have T1 and Hashimoto's, possibly the begining stages of RA as well. Every time I'm sick, even if it's a headache, they always say "It's the diabetes" before they check for anything else. SO ANNOYING!