Multiple diagnosis; Help

At the age of 3 years, I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus. At 22, Hypothyroidism was added. Year 36 arrived and the diagnosis of Celiac arrived. And now at 43 I have been diagnosed with Primary Biliary Cholangitis.

I feel like I’m whining, but is this going to continue?

I’m very sorry to hear this. Unfortunately it is not uncommon for Type 1’s and others with autoimmune disorders to develop multiples. As I like to say, once the body gets a taste for attacking itself, it kind of gets a kick out of it and wants to do it again and again.

I was diagnosed with T1 at 16, then developed hypothyroidism at around 35. So far I test negative for celiac, which I’m thankful for because I already have to watch my sodium due to kidney issues, and this would leave me with very little to eat.

Here is an interesting study about what they call Multiple Autoimmune Syndrome (3 or more): Multiple autoimmune syndrome - PMC

I’m so sorry! I’ve been diabetic for almost 23 years, celiac for almost 3, and hypothyroid for I-don’t-remember-how-long. I’d been told that the more autoimmune disease you have the more likely you are to develop others, so I cried when I got the call about celiac. Not because celiac itself is so horrible, but because I was scared of what #4 would be. But then I was told that being on a gluten free diet (whether you need it or not) lowers your risk of developing autoimmune diseases. So I’ve been keeping my fingers crossed. Don’t feel bad about whining! I’m still scared of #4. I don’t know if it’s going to continue, but I really, really hope not!