One year down...a lifetime to go

It was exactly a year ago today when I was given the news of my Type 1 diagnosis. My senior year in college, on a Friday morning, while I was studying for a Nutrition exam I got a call from my doctor telling me to go to the ER. Severe DKA is what she called it. I was terrified because I knew what that meant...my body was self destructing from inside out. Little did I know this wasn't the end of my life, but the beginning of my life with type 1 diabetes. I got a card from my boyfriend today letting me know he was proud of me and he congratulated me on a job well done. Hopefully this will be the first of many healthy years with type 1 diabetes.

Acousticmelo,

I, too, just celebrated my one year anniversary with Type 1.  The first year is quite an adjustment period. I'm sure we will have our ups and downs, but we have the support of those around us and of course, the DOC, to answer questions and reassure us that how we are feeling is normal!  Keep up the good work, I'll try to do the same!

Nicole

Congratulations ... I know that might sound odd but, after everything that you have been through, overcome & accomplished it just seems like the right thing to say. I love your outlook on living with diabetes. You said it wasn't the end of your life but the beginning of life with type 1 diabetes. It's definitely challenging at times but what doesn't kill us makes us stronger :D You will have your days were you just do NOT want to count carbs or feel like dealing with diabetes and you'll have days where you feel on top of the world and ready to take on diabetes. That's something we all deal with and go through ... You're never alone through the bad and the good! Your boyfriend sounds sweet, it's great that he is so supportive. My husband is amazing with me and my diabetes. It's such a relief to have him in my corner :) I wish you all the best, keep in touch!

- A 

Congrats on the one year. Mines comeing up on the 16th.

Congratulations, my one year will be creeping up on me in June. 

But may your life be full of wonderful memories and healthy numbers.

I barely remember NOT being a T1, it has been so long. The hardest thing for me is my family. They even 30+ years later do not understand. I am called fat, annoying because "thats all" you talk about. I despise people that say just lose a few pounds and it will go away or did you consider gastric  bypass. I hate to admit this but after 30 years I have become really good at expressing myself without  inappropriate words. I do not take anything but my Humalog and two inhalers. I do not believe in taking every single thing the Dr. offers. I have seen too many take what they WERE prescribed only to go back to the Dr. again weaker and more depressed. I am only around 30 to 35 pounds overweight. Bp average is 110/70. I do not smoke and harldy ever drink alcohol. Its not worth it to me. Diabetes is tough when your support team does not see it from your viewpoint. If I can help anyone please let me know. I will try.

Congrats on making it through this big adjustment. Are you out of college and working now?

It sounds like your boyfriend is a keeper. (;

Congratulations! My 1st diabetic birthday is coming up in a little over a week. I want to celebrate but don't know what to do. Do you have any suggestions?

Congratulations!! My 22nd anniversary is coming up on May 18th. Keep up the good work!

It's amazing how much your life can change in one year, right?  But look at allllllllll of our profile pictures - we're all smiling.  we get through it.  you'll get through it too.

Here's to another healthy year in the making.

I had my 10 yr anniversary last month and I can't belive it's already been a decade. Congrats on all your accomplishments from this past year! You'll just keep getting stronger and learn more and more as you go!

Congratulations on one year. I too just passed my one year anniversary. :)

Sorry to respond to this so late. it has been a crazy month. My boyfriend took me out for ice cream. I saved my carbs all day so that I could eat ice cream and a tiny piece of cake. I put a little candle on it. It was nice!

Yay! Thank you all for your encouraging words!

I will have had type 1 for ten years this November. Keep up the good work!

Congrats on your one year! I'll be celebrating my 2nd year anniversary in July. It truly is a celebration, because we have conquered another second, minute, hour, day, week, month, and YEAR with diabetes! Its truly an inspiration to see people on here that have been 20 + years diabetic and have wonderful and amazing stories to tell! Everyday isn't a bright day but its another day, and a day that we've defeated diabetes!