OmniPod

I have the OmniPod and I was wondering who else does and who likes it or who is soon getting it. I think it works well and helps me alot. I have had a couple fail but it is ok because now it is like a habit to me.

We just started our daughter (4 1/2) on the omnipod and so far we love it. The only down side is that shes so tiny and has some other issues that the sites go bad every 1 or 2 days instead of 3, other then that we love that there is no tubing or anything and the school nurse in more comfortable then doing shots too.

I really want one, has anyone had any major prob. or have any info? does it hurt ect. haha much appreciated!

Looks awesome, despite a few (really few) annoyances.

1. It's not available outside of the U.S. of A.

2. They don't list the price anywhere (typical).

3. They make a great deal of reference to how it'll hide the fact you're diabetic (personal beef).

All that aside (and of course my personal reservation of insulin pump systems), I think this is actually a system I might be interested in, if it ever makes it over the border (to Canada).

Well im on it and it does not hurt for the most part. Its really comfortable. U do not have to dissconnect it to go in water and its wireless. These are neat features. Hopefully it does go to canada so more people can have it there. Also I belive they dont want to give the idea that the omnipod will make diabetes less noticicible or hide your a diabetic. It just makes it simpler to handle in you life. These motto:  making diabetes a smaller part of life. :)

Oh, I agree... It's not like they're actively PUSHING it, but there's still advertising lines in the list of features of the actual blood testing and wireless manager device like this:

"Looks like a personal organizer - no one will know you're managing your diabetes."

They just give me that 'blah' feeling, especially since I'm so open and accepting of my diabetes.

[quote user="Trevor"]

Oh, I agree... It's not like they're actively PUSHING it, but there's still advertising lines in the list of features of the actual blood testing and wireless manager device like this:

"Looks like a personal organizer - no one will know you're managing your diabetes."

They just give me that 'blah' feeling, especially since I'm so open and accepting of my diabetes.

[/quote]

I admire your feelings toward diabetes. That is true, also depending on your standing point of view. Im open about it, just dont like the long list of questions that comes after you say: I have diabetes, you know what i mean? lol :)

I have also heard that the OmniPod Corp. is merging with another pump company(I think it is DiTech or somthing...) and in about 2 years, the OmniPod will check your BS too!!! How cool is that?!?!?! Anyways, my mom said I could do that! I can't wait but the thing is it will have on needle on each side of the Pod. Oh well... No more finger pricks!!!

I actually spoke to an Omnipod rep just last week and here are a few things he said...

1. Omniod is working with Dexcom - a CGM - to have their CGM and the Omniod work together (same transmitter). He did not have an exact date as to when this will be available other than it should be in the next year

2. Omnipod is currently working a on a smaller version of their "pod" that will be about 40% smaller than their current model. This should be available in the next few months

Exciting stuff that I thought I would share.

I am also looking at starting the Omnipod pump.

Good luck

Linda gayle

Does anyone have allergies to adhesive on Omnipod. I  tried few demo packs and my skin felt like burning... it stayed red for 4 days after I took Omnipod  off. It makes me rethink I want to go on Omnipod or other pumps

I'm on the Omnipod, and I really love it.  It's my first pump, but it is so much simpler than taking needles all the time.  One less hassle makes all the difference in the world.  I'm looking forward to the cgm, especially since it'll be attached to the pod itself.

I just recieved my Omnipod in the mail last week and am waiting to go to training next month. I am really excited about it. I hope I like it as much as all of you.

You probably will.  Did you do wear one with the saline solution?  It's not the same, but it gets you used to the feeling of wearing it and doing the entries and all.  Best of luck.

I've been on the OmniPod for a year and a half and I absolutely love it.  I've gotten so used to how much easier that little machine makes my life. It remembers every basal change, bolus, BS, and reminds me that I still have insulin "on board" aka insulin that has not completely been absorbed and utilized by my body yet and always accounts for it. Obviously there can be some down sides, my yoga practice can be interesting with a beeper sized machine attached to my body that can keep me from being able to do every posture, and it did take a while for my body to adjust to the adhesive. So for the first couple months my skin would randomly freakout and turn really super red after I removed a pod. But it's been 9 months since I've had that happen. I am very excited to hear that they're coming out with an even smaller version and a combo pod with a CGM! Can't wait to try them both.

yes i did wear one a trial pod for about 24 hours. i have to tell you i was a little weirded out. just having something attached to me 24-7 is scary but i know it is for the best and i will get used to it. when you all went to training for the omnipod was it a long drawn out process? the educator that i am scheduled with told me that i had to come in for one visit with a week of bs reading all written down along with everything i have eaten. i am horrible at doing stuff like that.my appointment is in 3 days and i still havn't written anything down. is this really bad or was it not that important? than after this appointment i have to wait 2 more weeks until i can actually go up to the hospital and get trained for it. i am just kinda dissapointed in how long it is taking to get started on this. has anyone else had this experience?

Julia, I must admit that I laughed a bit when I read your post!  I had to wait about a month from the time that I received my pump to the time that I actually stared using it.  Yes, it does seem like a long time, but it's really all relative to your degree of excitement and anticipation.  Think back to when you were about 5 years old and you knew that your birthday was in one week...  Didn't that also seem like a looooooong time?  Don't let the time factor get you down; it'll happen in due "time"!

As for keeping your records, I can understand how this might be difficult.  I don't find testing or planning my meals hard, but recording everything is a challenge to me also!  However, as you begin pumping, this part is crucial.  Your CDE needs this data in order to figure out your basal rates and insulin-to-carb ratios for your bolus rate(s).  The more information he/she has, the easier it will make your pump start so that you won't require too many drastic adjustments.

All the best of luck!